Turning parent filter on in hierarchical view hides tasks

funjul...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2021, 4:58:11 AM1/24/21
to MyLifeOrganized
ok, so I have the following hierarchy showing up, with "include parent" on:

Folder Processed
  Project new2
  Project new
    Task x

With hierarchy off, only the following show up:

new2

I want the parent project "new" to show up above task x.

But if I include a parent filter for "isFolder is false" I get the following:

new

and new2 is hidden! That doesn't seem right.

And if I turn off both "include parent" and "include child" nothing shows up - how is that possible? Shouldn't it give me the same two that show up in a non-hierarchical view?

Andrei Bacean

Jan 25, 2021, 3:56:19 PM1/25/21
to MyLifeOrganized
hi,

Please find attached video. Hope you can find the answer to your question.

Have a nice day
Andrew

воскресенье, 24 января 2021 г. в 11:58:11 UTC+2, funjul...@gmail.com:

funjul...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2021, 2:38:31 AM1/26/21
to MyLifeOrganized
Andrei, thank you so much for the response!

So if I understand correctly, the reason new2 is hidden is that its parent is a folder, and the parent filter works by filtering tasks based on the characteristics of their parents, and NOT by filtering the display of the parents.

In other words, the parent filter controls what tasks are shown, as opposed to what parents are shown.

But when I try using the same hierarchy with include parent on, and a parent filter for "isFolder is true," I get the full hierarchy:

Folder Processed
  Project new2
  Project new
    Task x

Task x is still shown and highlighted as matching the filters, even though its parent is NOT a folder.

Why is this? It doesn't meet the condition we have set.

And when I try using the same hierarchy with include child on, and a child filter for "isProject is true," I still get the full hierarchy:

Folder Processed
  Project new2
  Project new
    Task x

"new" should be hidden, because it doesn't meet the condition. Its child is not a project. And everything is highlighted.

And if I try the same thing, with include child on, and a child filter for "isProject is false," I still get the full hierarchy:

Folder Processed
  Project new2
  Project new
    Task x

But Folder Processed should be hidden. It doesn't meet the condition. Its children are projects.

Please help me understand how parent and child filters work!

Andrei Bacean

Jan 26, 2021, 3:32:47 AM1/26/21
to MyLifeOrganized
hi

Here is hierarchical definition from the mlo guide. Please take a note.
Regarding your question, when isfolder is true, it displays the full hieararchy because at the top there is a folder which matches your condition.
Please see the attached video too, with another example.

2021.01.26.PNG
Link to complete mlo user guide.

Have a nice day
Andrew

вторник, 26 января 2021 г. в 09:38:31 UTC+2, funjul...@gmail.com:

Andrei Bacean

Jan 26, 2021, 1:36:22 PM1/26/21
to MyLifeOrganized
Hi

So if I understand correctly, the reason new2 is hidden is that its parent is a folder, and the parent filter works by filtering tasks based on the characteristics of their parents, and NOT by filtering the display of the parents.

In other words, the parent filter controls what tasks are shown, as opposed to what parents are shown.

sorry, it seems i was wrong.
the help file says that the hierarchical filter may add parent tasks to the tasks which we already have filtered.
instead, it affects the display of the filtered tasks. strange behaviour.

tested on android.
android behaves differently.

i will report more testing later.

best regards
Andrew

вторник, 26 января 2021 г. в 09:38:31 UTC+2, funjul...@gmail.com:
Andrei, thank you so much for the response!

Andrei Bacean

Jan 26, 2021, 2:04:25 PM1/26/21
to MyLifeOrganized
Here is the windows vs android behaviour.
It's seems that you have identified a bug.

2021.01.26 bug.png

вторник, 26 января 2021 г. в 20:36:22 UTC+2, Andrei Bacean:

Andrei Bacean

Jan 26, 2021, 2:17:06 PM1/26/21
to MyLifeOrganized
i've reported the issue from this thread to support email

вторник, 26 января 2021 г. в 21:04:25 UTC+2, Andrei Bacean:

funjul...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2021, 5:56:43 PM1/26/21
to MyLifeOrganized
Thank you again for your quick response!

It doesn't look like the video got attached to your post.

The text from the guide "you can also set additional filter for these parent/child tasks" doesn't explain how that additional filter works.

As I understand, the parent filter filters the tasks, not the parents, and includes only those tasks that have some direct ancestor meeting the condition listed in the parent filter.

But the child filter seems to work differently - it filters the children, not the tasks, and doesn't seem to work consistently.

See my post https://groups.google.com/g/mylifeorganized/c/xQeltoO3DcU titled "Bug in the child filter," or see what I wrote above:

When I try using the same hierarchy with include child on, and a child filter for "isProject is true," I still get the full hierarchy:

Folder Processed
  Project new2
  Project new
    Task x

"new" should be hidden, because it doesn't meet the condition. Its child is not a project. And everything is highlighted.

And if I try the same thing, with include child on, and a child filter for "isProject is false," I still get the full hierarchy:

Folder Processed
  Project new2
  Project new
    Task x

But Folder Processed should be hidden. It doesn't meet the condition. Its children are projects.

Please help me understand how the child filters work!

funjul...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2021, 5:56:43 PM1/26/21
to MyLifeOrganized
Thank you!