Re: MyHomeYourHome Possibilities

Scott Newson

May 4, 2009, 3:19:30 PM5/4/09
to MyHomeYourHome
I feel we are currently in need of more people who are house based than tech based...

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 12:17 PM, Rachel Simpson <rachel.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
sweet and sweet
good ideas:)
wiki involvement would be good
was thinking about a wikipedia page too.. thoughts? might be a good way to get people who are more tech/ collab based than house based.

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Scott Newson <scott.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
no... ? blog followers are already involved and I feel that people who are slightly interested don't read it. In the case of the dropbox blog, we seem to have turned it into a collection more than a communication tool. I like this, as it's what we originally intended it to be, but it means that it wouldn't be appropriate to post announcements there. (this obviously isn't a function of it being a blog, just that it's our dropbox blog.)

facebook group would be where I'd start. and one on one discussion/emails to friends. I'll see what I can do to get the wiki-educator community involved somehow with the wiki.

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Rachel Simpson <rachel.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
good thoughts:)
a blog post perhaps to introduce the having online participation during event?

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Scott Newson <scott.g...@gmail.com> wrote:

the wiki requiers signing up and learning, the blog requires us letting them have access, and I don't want people to email me directly.
(we can always give people access to the blog if they ask for it though.)

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Rachel Simpson <rachel.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
Been thinking about online participation. we should figure out how exactly we'll be telling people to do that.

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 11:52 PM, Scott Newson <scott.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
your reply doesn't seem to be addressed to kenneth at all... did you send a separate reply to him? or did his name fall off the list by accident?

If you haven't done so yet, we can invite him to participate with the show online.

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 12:38 PM, Rachel Simpson <rachel.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
It's nice to hear from you Kenneth. Thanks for all your research!

The galley show is actually beginning on the 9th, and we're very excited about it. We'll be working with community members to generate more design iterations and ideas.

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Kenneth Mak <kmak....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Rachel,

How have you been? I hope the gallery show went well.

I've finished my exams and the summer is starting, so I figured it'd be a good time to see how everything is going. Now that everything's slowing down I should be able to take a larger role. I'm skimming through the blog now, but beyond that, have there been any specific changes?

There was an environmental fair that happened a little while ago, and a few things came up: straw bale houses, geothermal heating and water purification. To begin with, straw bale houses are a bit harder to manage because there aren't a set of regulations for them but they're usually stronger than normal houses and have better insulation. They deal well with heat, etc., but the main issue is that they require more room. Unfortunately, I don't have a contact for you of a straw bale house builder in your area. I'm not sure how well it'd work for the climate, but it might be good to check it out. Furthermore, I talked to a system designer and installation technician, Tyler Blower, from Extra'ordinary Energy. He works with geothermal heating, and he referred me to "Delta Geothermal" (http://deltageothermal.com/), who is in your area. He said that the owner is very knowledgeable and approachable. If you're still looking at as a possibility, it might be good to send him an email. Unfortunately, I don`t have a direct email (in...@deltageothermal.com). Lastly, I found a guy that dealt with grey water use and purifying harvested rain. His name is Chris Thompson (ctho...@theinstallteam.com). He had two products: Brac Systems (http://www.bracsystems.com/) and Aquacore (http://aquacore.com/). Brac Systems collects water from the shower, purifies it and uses it for the washroom. Meanwhile, the Aquacore takes collected rain water and purifies it for drinking. It requires a flush cycle once in awhile, but it's a fairly low water requirement.

Cheers,
Kenneth

Rachel Simpson

May 4, 2009, 3:24:38 PM5/4/09
to myhomey...@googlegroups.com
Fair enough:)
Want to do more promo- focusing on the grant project during the day though, more work this evening.