Glossaries

Zunetta Herbert

Apr 3, 2019, 11:42:29 AM4/3/19
to myanm...@googlegroups.com

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: Glossaries
Date: April 3, 2019 at 16:37:52 GMT+1

Dear all,

At a recent meeting with INGOs and CSOs working in the justice sector, it was agreed that we should try to gather glossaries of legal terms so that they can be compared and hopefully some agreement reached to standardize some English-Burmese terms, with explanations of their full meaning.

U Kyaw Zeya’s “Legal Words you need to know” is a good example, but organisations that regularly translate legal documents and training manuals from English to Burmese, or visa versa, have also created their own in-house translation glossaries that we hope can be shared.

If you have, or know of any such glossaries (preferably in Unicode fonts and in word versions) that can be shared, please do so through this list serve or to sean,ba...@icj.org and me (zun...@tmfmyanmar.org)

Many thanks

Zunetta

Zunetta Herbert
Senior Advisor, Tharthi Myay Foundation

Office Address: 902 Bayint Naung Tower 2A, 9th Floor, Bayint Naung Road, Kamayut, Yangon
Telephone: MM +95 9 7870 82856
UK: +44 7870 365462
Whatsapp: +44 7870 365462
Signal:+959787082856
Skype: zunetta

jasa...@nor.com.au

Apr 3, 2019, 4:18:51 PM4/3/19
to Myanmar google
Dear Zunetta,

What a useful idea.  Thank you.

The best person at this, who is also overseeing translations in the AG office, is a very senior lawyer.
He is brilliant at it. We have exchanged stories on this matter.

I frequently have to explain concepts in English to get the correct conceptual  meaning for teaching in the parliament.  We do it in detailed ways to ensure we get it right.  Frequently with the translator and also with the MPs.  We enjoy it.  We use parliamentary terms and there are many legal terms we use as well.  One of the senior lawyers on the Bills Committee is also very good at this.

I have never seen any of the glossaries referred to here, but would be interested to read them, if I could be sent them.

Regards
Janelle

--

---