"skip occurrence" sometimes missing

Rebecca Young

Apr 26, 2022, 8:41:33 AM4/26/22
to MyLifeOrganized
I am noticing that on some recurring tasks that are overdue, "skip occurrence" appears and on others, it doesn't.  I also see that when it appears the initial start and due dates are grayed out, and when it doesn't appear, they are in regular black text.  I would like the "skip occurrence" option to appear on the tasks where it doesn't, but I can't figure out how to change them.  Am I missing something or is this a bug?

Thank you!
Rebecca

Stéph

Apr 27, 2022, 4:33:52 AM4/27/22
to MyLifeOrganized
That sounds like a bug. I'll look out for it on my own copy (though I don't have that many recurring tasks).

Rebecca Young

Apr 27, 2022, 11:23:08 AM4/27/22
to MyLifeOrganized
Thank you!

sn...@ptd.net

Apr 30, 2022, 12:02:51 PM4/30/22
to MyLifeOrganized
I think "skip occurrence" is available for tasks with recurrence pattern "Recur every xxx days/weeks/months."
If is not available for tasks set to "Regenerate new task xxx days/weeks/months after task is completed." For those tasks, there isn't really an occurrence to skip without completing the task.

Is that the difference you are seeing?

imajeff

May 2, 2022, 11:46:22 AM5/2/22
to MyLifeOrganized
No, Rebecca specifically said " on some recurring tasks"
and every task I set up as recurring, in Windows 10, they could be skipped by a menu option. I would also need to make sure they are past due for testing, since that was specified.

Since I haven't seen it not work, I wonder if it is not on Windows that Rebecca saw the problem ? Other OS are entirely different software and commonly work different.

Rebecca Young

May 4, 2022, 9:57:57 AM5/4/22
to MyLifeOrganized
Hi,

I am using a Windows 10 computer, so it's not an issue of a different operating system.  But that was a good question too.

Thank you,
Rebecca

Rebecca Young

May 4, 2022, 9:57:57 AM5/4/22
to MyLifeOrganized
I just figured out that it is missing whenever it's a daily occurrence.  It's always there when it's weekly or monthly.  To my mind, that seems like a bug -- but does anyone see a reason that it would intentionally be that way?

Thank you again!
Rebecca

Rebecca Young

May 4, 2022, 9:57:57 AM5/4/22
to MyLifeOrganized
Hi Steve,

I just checked and this issue of it giving me the "skip occurrence" option shows up on tasks where the Regenerate option is not selected.  Good thought, though.  Thank you.

Rebecca

Nick Clark

May 4, 2022, 6:50:14 PM5/4/22
to MyLifeOrganized
I raised this as a bug but was told it’s a new feature for the latest version. It allows a new date to be set rather than skipping the occurrence to the usual pattern. The skip occurrence option is still available on the right click menu.

I am getting used to the change but don’t like it yet as it appears inconsistent.

Nick

imajeff

May 4, 2022, 9:35:45 PM5/4/22
to MyLifeOrganized
I don't get it, I'm using 5.1.4 (latest) and I had only tested daily, making it reoccur every 1 day(s). I always has the "Skip occurence..." option and by always I mean that even if the task is not reocurring at all, I still have the option!

Exactly how could I recreate this?
If I click Skip on any other kind of task it pops up the dialog but says, "Please select recurrent task(s)" and the only button is 'Ok'. This is an astonishingly unintelligent.

imajeff

May 5, 2022, 1:46:00 PM5/5/22
to MyLifeOrganized
Oh now I see; what both Rebecca and Nick were not saying is where they expected to see "skip occurrence" so they did not mean in the Task menu or right-click menu which was the only place I could find it recently.

You meant a 'link' in "TIming & Reminder" properties, directly above Start and Due dates but I had not seen that recently because I was testing Daily recurrence (for simpler testing). Sure it's more convenient to have a quick skip there just like other tasks have a 'today', 'tomorrow' for automatically selecting smart dates.

Yeah I agree it makes no sense for only Daily recurrence it should not show there for all recurrence because Weekly can have the exact same problem:
Their idea I suspect is to at least change it for Daily because easier getting too far behind and that link was only meant to skip one occurrence. Being 10 days late would require too many skips, so might as well just jump to new occurrence due date (click Edit in recurrence).

Better I think: Just use the Task menu or right-click menu which always has "Skip occurrence..." and will ask whether to skip only current, or skip all occurrences up to today. It is simpler than having to navigate to options then dialogs then open calendar then find today's date.

Thanks I learned a lot from this about MLO thinking

Rebecca Young

May 5, 2022, 3:59:19 PM5/5/22
to MyLifeOrganized
Hi Nick,

Thank you so much!  The fact that "skip occurrence" is available on right click is a good-enough solution for me.

Rebecca

Rebecca Young

May 5, 2022, 3:59:20 PM5/5/22
to MyLifeOrganized
I hear you -- it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me either.

Rebecca