How can I add task template?

Gerardo Aguilar

May 4, 2022, 6:02:29 PM5/4/22
to MyLifeOrganized
I work as PM, many of my projects have the same sequence in process and tasks,
when I have a new project I create new project and then create a new section of tasks,
these tasks sections are like "Installation process, maintenance window"
Is it a form in which these names can be set as template for different projects?
So I do not have to write them multiple times?

I have read the guide help but I think I did not find something like this
Thank you

Susannah

May 5, 2022, 9:08:25 AM5/5/22
to MyLifeOrganized
I keep this kind of thing in a folder at the top of my outline called  "Procedures and Templates to Copy - Kicked off by an Event"
I set it to hidden.

For example, I have a task for setting up a computer for a new user - which has hundreds of tasks under it.  So when we hire an employee I copy that project template down into my working projects in my outline and delete any tasks that won't apply to this user - ie the book keeper won't require the same software as the engineer so I list all the software and when I make it active I delete what I don't need or just check it off.  Then I start checking off tasks as I set up the computer or I set a date due for the future or I make it dependent on the employee accepting our offer or the new computer arriving.  I have hundreds of these templates.  Anything basically that isn't a set routine and is kicked off by an inconsistent event - new hire, new job, filling in for another person while they are out (this one I move to the active outline and then I move back up when they come back), random server processes when something goes wrong for troubleshooting, how to install things,....  Pretty much every time I have an issue and figure it out I put it in these templates for the next time I have the same issue.  If we get new software I put the steps for installing so that the next time I have to install I don't even have to think about it as far as where it is saved and what settings have to be set to be consistent with all the other's that are already installed.  It also comes in handy for delegating - if I have all the task involved I just print that selected project and hand it off to someone else to do.

The only thing you have to remember is I am continuously improving my process and/or things are always changing so if I need to change something I need to remember to change the template and the active project.
I hope that helps.
Susannah

Jason Seaman

May 5, 2022, 3:59:20 PM5/5/22
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com

Gerardo:

I hope the following information is helpful as you consider how to use MLO in your situation. In short, there are simpler and more complicated methods. If you have follow up questions please ask.

Here are a couple of methods to duplicate or add groups of tasks.

1) use "Copy Tasks" and "Paste task(s) as..." from the context menu in the hierarchy.

One could 1) copy from an old set of tasks or 2) create and copy from a "template" set of tasks. One advantage of this method is that task attributes (dates, contexts, notes) are copied. One disadvantage is that one must modify tasks using MLO.

2) use "Advanced" > "Copy tasks as text" and "Paste text as subtasks."

In this method, since the tasks are held (at least temporarily) as text, one could modify tasks outside of MLO. One could modify tasks by adding or removing tasks and replacing text (such as bulk text substitutions, using a text editor such as Notepad++). Another advantage is that one could maintain tasks outside of MLO in text files. One disadvantage is that the pasted tasks have only titles, so one must add other attributes (dates, contexts, notes) after the tasks are pasted.

3.1) use the "Rapid task entry (RTE) window" as an alternative to  "Paste text as subtasks."

One can use RTE in a similar way to "Paste text as subtasks." One does not need to use all of the options available in RTE.

3.2) use the "Rapid task entry (RTE) window" with text-based templates.

One could create a text-based template that includes many MLO attributes (including dates and contexts) but not all (including notes). Then one could modify the text outside of MLO before pasting (as well as modifying tasks in MLO). One disadvantage is that one needs to learn the text formatting used in RTE. I think this might be a great method in many situations.

3.3) use the "Rapid task entry (RTE) window" with an external template system.

One could generate MLO tasks for use with RTE in many different ways. One advantage of these ways is flexibility and control. One disadvantage is that these ways are more complex. I use a technique using Excel. If others are interested, I could share my technique(s) in more detail.

cheers,
..jason

Steve Kunkel

May 9, 2022, 5:54:54 PM5/9/22
to MyLifeOrganized
Remember also that there is a "New from template" command.  Having said that, I don't use that feature.   For me, projects are "special ed cases."  Each project is a "folder" and has maybe 15 to 25 subtasks.  About 10 of those will always be the same, so they are in my templates.  The subtasks are just simple todo items, but there are dependencies.  I go through maybe 6 or 8 projects per week.  I name the folder by what type of case  it is, with angle-braces.   (See pasted below).  I make them "Hidden" then un-hide them when I use them.  To use one I just "Duplicate" the folder, then rename it.

<Referral>
  Get info from teacher
  File review
  Call home - Assessment plan