How to? Multiple instances

Gary Petro

Aug 1, 2022, 9:12:51 PM8/1/22
to MyLifeOrganized
I have checked the box to allow multiple instances but I can't seem to get 2 files to remain open.
As soon as I select a file-open or reopen it closes whatever file I have open.
I am on Windows -10.

What steps do I need to follow to keep 2 files open and what options do I need to have checked?

Thanks.
Gary

Alyona (MLO Support)

Aug 5, 2022, 7:52:43 AM8/5/22
to MyLifeOrganized
HI Gary,

Open MLO, then click to open MLO again (or run MLO.exe). This will open a second instance of MLO. In this second instance go to File-> Open  and select the second file you would like to open there.

Frank

Aug 6, 2022, 5:38:55 PM8/6/22
to MyLifeOrganized
Is it possible to have the same .mlo File open in 2 windows/instances?

Stéph

Aug 8, 2022, 3:18:06 AM8/8/22
to MyLifeOrganized
I don't think that's possible, Frank. The nearest thing would be "Open in New Window" (shortcut key F3). Although the F3 window doesn't have all the panes and features of the main window, you can use it for dragging and dropping tasks to the main window, to reorganise your outline.

Frank

Aug 8, 2022, 1:54:45 PM8/8/22
to MyLifeOrganized
Thats a shame. I would like to work with one mlo file but in 2 windows. Thats definetly something which should be considered in the next update.

Dwight Arthur

Aug 8, 2022, 10:43:01 PM8/8/22
to MyLifeOrganized

Frank, did you try Stéph's suggestion? I think there's a good chance it will give you what you need.

do you want two different views in the two windows? Open a window and load one of the views. Hit f3 and you get a second window displaying that view, but without toolbar, menu bar, or either sidebar. go back to the first window and load the second view. You now have two different views into your data, side by side in two windows.

-Dwight

Frank

Aug 11, 2022, 10:57:46 AM8/11/22
to MyLifeOrganized
I know this  second outline window. But for instance how do i compare the notes of two tasks? How do i see those two notes at the same time? Is that possible somehow? I don´t get why there exists this kind of featureless second window at all. Why not have 2 or more real instances of the same .mlo file. I am sure lots of users would appreciate that. Another idea would be the option to tile the task list (including notes) which could be than scrolled independently. Maybe this is easier to implement. Thank you!

Stéph

Aug 12, 2022, 10:34:43 AM8/12/22
to MyLifeOrganized
Agreed. It would make sense for multiple windows into the same file to be a feature request - that's something I use all the time when working on large Word documents, spreadsheets, presentations or PDF files, so I'm sure it would be super-useful in a project outline.

KC Yang (KC)

Jun 18, 2024, 5:09:41 AM (12 days ago) Jun 18
to MyLifeOrganized
I cannot get this done as you instructed, please assist.

Alyona (MLO Support) 在 2022年8月5日 星期五晚上7:52:43 [UTC+8] 的信中寫道:

KC Yang (KC)

Jun 19, 2024, 6:51:15 AM (10 days ago) Jun 19
to MyLifeOrganized
For the record, after uninstalling my older version and left along only newest MLO version, now I solved the issue.  Just so those who knows knows.

KC Yang (KC) 在 2024年6月18日 星期二下午5:09:41 [UTC+8] 的信中寫道: