How to repeat a task every year for only a few months

Dave Crain

May 24, 2022, 2:23:03 PM5/24/22
to MyLifeOrganized
Hey folks - is this possible?  I want to set a task to remind me to fertilize the lawn at the end of the month, but only say May through October.  Don't reoccur Nov - April, then start back up.

I'm guessing it's not possible, but would love to know if there is a way.  Thanks!

Susannah

May 24, 2022, 2:47:13 PM5/24/22
to MyLifeOrganized
I put this kind of task in separately for each month I want it and then set it to annual recurrence.   Not ideal but with copy and paste doesn't take too long.  It would be nice if you could pick months like you can days of the week.
Another way which I don't use would be to put it in with monthly Recurrence and when you get to October just remember to complete as many times as need to get to May.  I do that sometimes on my daily tasks when it is a full week and I know I won't have time for something for a few days.
Looking forward to hearing what others do.
Susannah

Dwight Arthur

May 24, 2022, 3:44:35 PM5/24/22
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
I am close to Susanna's second option.
I have a huge number of outdoor-oriented tasks, summer daily, some are weekly, some are monthly, one is every 11 days. I tag them all with the word " hibernate ". When it gets cold, I create a task called "end hibernation", set it for next year April 1 start date. Then I turn on multiselect, filter to view only tasks with the hibernate tag, select them all and set a dependency on the end hibernation task.
Around April 1 if it's a late spring I update the start date for end hibernation. Maybe a few times. When the warm weather starts i select the end hibernation task, ask for a list of tasks dependent on this task, multiselect them all and "skip occurrences up to today" then delete the end hibernation task.
Obviously if I had one or two hibernating tasks all of this would be unnecessary.

Dave Crain

May 25, 2022, 3:20:26 PM5/25/22
to MyLifeOrganized
Awesome ideas - thank you both!

Radek Pilich

May 25, 2022, 5:25:53 PM5/25/22
to MyLifeOrganized
I would set the regular recurrence, i.e. 20 days after completion. I rarely use other type of recurrence than xxx days after completion. Then at the end of season, I would manually advance the next due date to the start of next season. Then it would appear in the actions and recur as expected 20 days after completion of first recurrence of the next season.