advantages of using goal vs project

Ned ZTown

Aug 29, 2021, 3:09:34 PM8/29/21
to MyLifeOrganized
What are the advantages of using the goal vs project feature? Let's assume if I want to buy a new car in next 6 weeks. What advantages will I get setting up this major task (with multiple subtasks) as a goal over a project or vice versa?

Michael Emerald, CFA

Aug 30, 2021, 9:56:43 AM8/30/21
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com

For me, goals and projects are two different things. First comes the goal, buy a ne car (while you’re there can you buy me one too?)

Now the question is: HOW DO I ACCOMPLISH MY GOAL?

There could be a project, there could be a set of recurring tasks, there could be affirmations on your mirror (which I hate), there could be visualization, etc.

A project is one approach to meeting your goal.

That’s how I look at it.

Take Care,

Michael Emerald, CFA

Performance Business Design

Owner, Business Strategy Consultant

Laurence Glazier

Sep 26, 2021, 4:09:22 PM9/26/21
to MyLifeOrganized
I interpret a project as an outcome with a deadline. So if you had to buy a car by or on a given date, that would be a project.

A goal relates to an "area of focus" where you want an outcome but there is no firm deadline, like getting better at a sport. It would typically be a recurring task, like practicing exercises. The timescale may vary, and MLO handles this very well with weekly, monthly or yearly goals.

For more, google Thiago Forte's PARA system, and Carl Pullein.

There are many approaches to these concepts and it is confusing.

Hope this helps

Laurence

KC

Sep 27, 2021, 7:05:52 AM9/27/21
to MyLifeOrganized
Due to the inspiration of latest reply by @Laurence, I'd like to add my 2 cents, a project or projects without firm deadline, like getting better at a sport, could be considered an extreme project, check on the Wikipedia article of Extreme Project Management(A), the notion could improve the big picture while utilizing MLO app.

(A):

Laurence Glazier

Oct 3, 2021, 5:18:47 PM10/3/21
to MyLifeOrganized
Thanks KC, that's an interesting addition to the taxonomy of goals and projects I was unaware of.

KC

Oct 4, 2021, 1:11:29 AM10/4/21
to MyLifeOrganized
My pleasure.