Why do tasks in a suspended project show up as active actions / next actions?

Joel Azaria

Jul 30, 2021, 11:18:19 AM7/30/21
to MyLifeOrganized
As the title.  I have projects that are marked suspended yet tasks under it show up in my next actions list as active.   I think this should not be.  I expect projects marked Suspended or Completed should have their children inactive.

Sidebar but while on the topic - Also request another project status called "Closed" or "Cancelled" to distinguish Projects completed successfully/fully vs those that have stalled or died (eg. ran out of funding, client cancelled next phase, etc.  Basically reasons that may be in or out of my control but which project stops not fully completed.   It would behave the same as Completed or Suspended in that any tasks under that project should inherit inactivity.

Joel.

Stéph

Aug 1, 2021, 12:40:59 PM8/1/21
to MyLifeOrganized
I often find the lack of dependencies between different task parameters a bit frustrating, too. However, this doesn't need to affect your filtered view looking the way you want it - the flexibility of the custom filters functions generally more than makes up for this. To make your next actions list look the way you want, you can add an Advanced Filter rule: ProjectStatus <> Suspended.

Heinz

Aug 2, 2021, 2:23:37 AM8/2/21
to MyLifeOrganized
I understand Joel's reasoning.
On the other hand I found that I am actually using this system behavior.
I set the project status (temporarily) to "Suspended" if my next possible action is far (months) away, to avoid the project showing in my "Active Projects" review.
The "Next Action" in this "Suspended" project is a reminder to resume the project, and of course this reminder should show up in my ToDo view as an active task.

I am not sure if I could achieve the same thing using the "Review" property.
Today I am not using "Review" because it adds another complexity layer and I think a "Due Date" reminder serves basically the same goal.

Joel

Aug 2, 2021, 2:53:23 PM8/2/21
to MyLifeOrganized
Steph,
Indeed this can be addressed in the views as you suggest but two things:

a) as I pointed out, sometimes I'm working in the native tree (full outline) and that's where I want to work, not in a view.
b) If this change affects just 1/4 of my typical daily views (and it may be more like 1/2) that's 5 views I have to modify and maintain.
   1. If I make new/other views, it's yet one more parameter I have to remember to enforce.
   2. If I have other, less-often used views I may not update them promptly or remember when needed causing me confusion or even frustration.   None of which is desirable.

This could be reasonable as a workaround but I have to regard it as just a workaround.

I believe Project Status should be user configurable and should dictate the status of a project (eg. active or not.)  It is a logical extension of the feature and imo good for the workflow.

J.