Last day for early bird tickets for SIngularity Summit Australia 20-21 August 2011

tim

Jun 29, 2011, 8:15:56 PM6/29/11
to mxug
There have been a couple of presentations to MXUG on this topic so I thought it would be of interest. Tickets are currently $78 / $48 concession but the price goes up tonight so get in now!

Tim Josling

The Singularity Summit is Coming to Town (20-21 August 2011)!

The Singularity Summit is an annual conference focused on the Singularity and related converging technologies such as robotics, nanotechnology, brain-computer interfaces, and artificial intelligence.

On present trends, computers will have more powerful "brains" than humans by around 2030. It's likely that this, and corresponding developments in biotechnology, robotics, nanotechnology and medicine will fundamentally change the world we live in. This will affect every one of us in profound ways that are only dimly understood.

The Singularity represents an "event horizon" in the predictability of human technological development. We have no means to predict the behaviour of entities smarter and more capable than ourselves so our models of the future cease to give reliable answers. While some regard the Singularity as a positive event and work to hasten its arrival, others have misgivings. We debate and discuss the most practical means for initiating the Singularity, and how, or whether, it can be influenced or managed. The Singularity Summits lead the world's dialogue on the Singularity, bringing together scientists, technologists, sceptics, and enthusiasts alike.

The summit will explore the important human and philosophical dimensions of the Singularity. Presentations will explore how can we plan rationally for Transhumanism, how can we ensure that the beneficial potential of the Singularity is realised, and how do we manage the risks involved. David Chalmers and others will examine how the Singularity will stretch our understanding of what it is to be human, to be conscious, and how our moral intuitions can extend to a world of non-human and partly-human intelligences.

It is hypothesised that Machines will out think by Computers before the middle of this century.

Professor Hugo de Garis says in History Channel's documentary Prophets of Doom "It is only a question of time now before humanity can build artificial brains that are far more intelligent than human beings. So this is a huge issue that will eclipse any other human issue this century...I call this 'Species dominance'."

Although this sounds like science fiction, its starting to take this very seriously.  This year the Singularity has made the cover of Time Magazine, and the topic of a feature documentary 'Transcendent Man' has been .  You have people like Larry Page (CEO of Google) taking an interest in this stuff, prominent public figures willing to associate their names with the Singularity, its definitely a move from the fringes, if not yet into the mainstream, then a lot closer..

"If you go back 500 years, not much happened in a century. Now a lot happens in 6 months." says Ray Kurzweil in documentary Transcendent Man.  "Technology feeds on itself and it gets faster and faster, it's going to continue, and in about 40 years it is going to become so fast, the pace of change is going to be so astonishingly quick that you won't be able to follow it, unless, you enhance your own intelligence by merging with the intelligent technology we have created."

This conference will challenge and enhance your view of the future.

Seating is limited, so Secure your tickets for the 2011 Summit Here >>

The conference will be held at Casey Plaza at RMIT or a larger venue if needed.

http://summit2011.singinst.org.au/

Speakers and subjects include:

  • David Chalmers Leading Philosopher of Consciousness “The Singularity – A Philosophical Analysis”
  • Lawrence Krauss - Leading physicist and best-selling author of "The Physics of Star Trek" - Topic to be advised
  • Ben Goertzel - Leading AI researcher and leader of the OpenCog project – “AI Against Aging”
  • Alan Hájek “A Plea for the Improbable”
  • Ian Robinson – “Rationality & transhumanism”
  • Kevin B. Korb“Bayesian Artificial Intelligence”
  • Ben Goertzel Leading AI researcher – “Artificial General Intelligence”
  • James Newton-Thomas Machine Intelligence Engineer – “Advances in Science and Technology”
  • Burkard Polster – "The Problem With Probability"
  • David Dowe - Artificial Intelligence
  • and many more...

Bonus Film screening

"Transcendent Man"

There will be several panels and opportunities for formal and informal discussion and networking during the summit.

This conference is brought to you by Humanity+ @ Melbourne (Victoria, Australia). Humanity+ explores how society might use and profit from a variety of creative and innovative thought.

Join in an exciting weekend as we explore the surprising future. See you there!

And please feel free to pass this on.

Kind regards,

Adam A. Ford
Singularity Summit Australia Coordinator
H+ Australia, H+ @ Melbourne Summit Coordinator
Mob: +61 421 979 977 | Email:  tec...@gmail.com