MXUG Coding Competition Dataset and Comments

1 view

Noon Silk

Jun 7, 2011, 9:03:55 AM6/7/11
to mx...@googlegroups.com, ozDotNet
Hello,

Data is here: <http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28596024/recipes%282%29.zip>

The guidelines are: You may populate a "database" with this data,
and, that's it! No queries/stored procedures shall be saved nor shall
anything else be done until the night!

On the night, we will all start from a scratch project and attempt to
do, "something", with this data. If you have other data you want to
add, feel free to do so (share it if you like). Any type of
application will be accepted (mobile/data manipulating
only/website/etc). 20 minutes will be allocated, with a further 15 to
discussing solutions and ranking them in some fashion. Hopefully you
will be first in the rankings as determined by aforementioned system!

The prize? Bragging rights and the acclaim of your peers!

Participation is expected even from those who don't compete - You
must watch and comment and generally try talk to the programmers while
they program, perhaps offering them advice on how to program, where to
place that semicolon or tab, what bracket they are missing, and most
importantly - how they are clearly not doing it the most efficient way
and it would be substantially better were they to do it in *this*
fashion ... (Be prepared for friendly backtalk ...)

So, bring your laptops and prepare to face defeat, in, Coding Stadium!

(Feel free to add yourself to the list:
<http://sites.google.com/site/mxugau/home/2011-06-15>. You don't need
to prepare to compete; you can just show up and go for it on the
night).

The competition is expected to unfold something like:
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TscjsNMvnDg>

Feel free to forward this on to anyone who you think is worthy of
competing! (Or anyone you want to embarrass with defeat ...)

--
Noon Silk | http://dnoondt.wordpress.com/ >

Fancy a quantum lunch? http://groups.google.com/group/quantum-lunch?hl=en

of being this signature."

Sam Watkins

Jun 7, 2011, 11:03:58 AM6/7/11
to mx...@googlegroups.com
I'm inclined to make a site just to search and display the recipes that are
already there in the dataset, at least for a start, rather than making it try
to invent new ones that will inevitably fail horribly! Or maybe to use it for
a learn cooking / learn English aid... I think might need strong AI to produce
any half-decent innovative recipes!

Depends if we are looking for comedy or edible food!

Maybe it can convert any normal recipe into a recipe for (weird) pizza? lol

Sam

Clifford Heath

Jun 8, 2011, 1:18:48 AM6/8/11
to mx...@googlegroups.com
On 08/06/2011, at 1:03 AM, Sam Watkins wrote:
> I'm inclined to make a site just to search and display the recipes
> that are
> already there in the dataset

The dataset is incomplete. It's meant to have a number of other tables,
including an ingredients table and a recipes table that ties together
the
ingredients and the method (which is the table provided). I guess that
adds to the fun, but still.

A question: Do the owners of this data (at <mysql://mysql.tastestalkr.com
>)
know and approve of the publication and use of this data?

Clifford Heath.

Noon Silk

Jun 8, 2011, 3:52:25 AM6/8/11
to mx...@googlegroups.com

No idea! I don't know where I got it. I found it on an old desktop
machine of mine that I haven't used for a few years. Feel free to
email them, and if I've made something public that I shouldn't have,
happy to remove it ...

I've certainly never worked for them or worked for someone who would
have them as a client.

My "guess" for how I got this data is that it was from one of the
monkeychip/info website. (There was a time when I was gathering data
from there). The website has changed significantly since then, and as
I mentioned in an earlier post, I tried to find it there and couldn't.

> Clifford Heath.

Sam Watkins

Jun 9, 2011, 1:30:36 AM6/9/11
to mx...@googlegroups.com

Clifford Heath wrote:
> The dataset is incomplete. It's meant to have a number of other tables,
> including an ingredients table and a recipes table that ties together the
> ingredients and the method (which is the table provided). I guess that adds
> to the fun, but still.

Using my chocolate-heighted perception, I see that the recipes are listed there
in order, the start of each recipe indicated by a row where order=1. It's not
hard to extract the recipes from that file. I doubt I will use a database!

As for ingredients yeah that might be more tricky to extract.
I might have to use wordnet as a supplimentary dataset / library :)

Sam

Sam Watkins

Jun 9, 2011, 1:32:48 AM6/9/11
to mx...@googlegroups.com
> Feel free to email them, and if I've made something public that I shouldn't
> have, happy to remove it ...

Perhaps we should wait until after the competiton ;)
It's too late anyway.

Gautam Gopalakrishnan

Jun 9, 2011, 1:48:40 AM6/9/11
to mx...@googlegroups.com

I don't plan to participate in this competition but since it's based
on an SQL database, maybe this will be of interest

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2633384
Free SQL dump with 200 million tweets from 13 million users

Sorry if this sounds irrelevant!

Regards
Gautam

Korny Sietsma

Jun 15, 2011, 5:07:58 AM6/15/11
to mx...@googlegroups.com, ozDotNet
Note, that the coding comp is deferred to next time.

In the interests of sanity, I've parsed the data file (it's a mess - strange escaping, html entities... if I had MySQL it might have been easier to load!) and converted it to JSON:

Note that this is an export from MongoDB, and it hasn't escaped any unicode in the file - if you read this, you might need to be able to cope with stuff like:
   Do not handle this dough any more than you have to-- it<U+0092>s one of those doughs that needs to be done <U+0093>just so<U+0094>.

Of course, given the deferred date, we might be able to get a different dataset organised - but I'm interstate for a couple of weeks, so I'll leave this up to anyone who cares.

- Korny

Kornelis Sietsma  korny at my surname dot com http://korny.info
"Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part
that wonders what the part that isn't thinking
isn't thinking of"

Korny Sietsma

Jun 15, 2011, 5:31:55 AM6/15/11
to mx...@googlegroups.com
Oops, forgot to include the file link: http://db.tt/IssqRpD

- Korny

Noon Silk

Jun 16, 2011, 3:51:31 AM6/16/11
to mx...@googlegroups.com
By the way, I picked up a prize, for the winner, today.

It's "Key Papers in The Development of Information Theory", published
by IEEE Press, in 1973. (2nd hand but good condition).

Flipping through it now, and I have to say it's pretty cool.

Some papers it contains:
+ A mathematical theory of communication (C.E. Shannon)
+ On binary communication over the Gaussian channel using ffeedback
with a peak energy constraint
+ Exponential Error Bounds for Erasure, List, and Decision Feedback Schemes
+ Information Rates of Wiener Processes

So, they look really interesting! Honestly, I hope I win!