Trouble with building for the iPhone simulator due to missing i386 arch

offwhite

Oct 15, 2009, 10:20:13 AM10/15/09
to Midwest iPhone SDK Developers
I get this error.

Undefined symbols:
"_bswap_32", referenced from:
_decode in libical-static.a(icaltz-util.o)
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

If I build for the device it works because the library files all have
versions of the arm architecture for the iPhone, but I am finding they
often lack the i386 architecture with iPhone 3.2.1. If I drop back to
iPhone 3.2 or 3.1 I find more libraries have i386 in the universal
binaries.

If you run the following commands you will see the issue.

file /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/
iPhoneOS2.2.1.sdk/usr/lib/libSystem.dylib
file /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/
iPhoneOS3.0.sdk/usr/lib/libSystem.dylib
file /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/
iPhoneOS3.1.2.sdk/usr/lib/libSystem.dylib
file /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/
iPhoneOS3.1.sdk/usr/lib/libSystem.dylib
file /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/
iPhoneSimulator3.0.sdk/usr/lib/libSystem.dylib
file /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/
iPhoneSimulator3.1.2.sdk/usr/lib/libSystem.dylib
file /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/
iPhoneSimulator3.1.sdk/usr/lib/libSystem.dylib
file /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/lib/libSystem.dylib
file /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk/usr/lib/libSystem.dylib

That is a library I need to build against in Xcode but it you can see
the lack of i386 in some versions.

I am closer now than I was when I started last night. I have been
messing with the build options for i386 with the CFLAGS and LDFLAGS
options but finding paths which have i386 binaries is the challenge. I
won't be able to build for the simulator until I get passed this build
issue.

Anyone have some time to look into this? The code is checked in
without a reference to libical-static.a yet. You can add it to the
Packers Schedule project and try building it with the line where
"set_zone_directory" is currently commented out is not commented out.
That is a call into libical-static which is what fails when it tries
to link to dependencies in Xcode.