COVID-19 Updates

Bryan Garfoot

May 13, 2020, 8:33:05 AM5/13/20
to Midwest Collegiate Cycling Conference
Hey there,

How's everybody been doing?  Everyone still healthy, everyone still sane from quarantine?

One thing that's for certain is that many/most of us really miss bike racing.  And racing will return.  No one is certain when exactly that may be, or exactly in what capacity that may be.  However, you can help USA Cycling determine what the new normal of racing looks like by filling out the survey in the attached email.  Some of you may have already done this, which is great!  For those who haven't, the survey takes less than 5 minutes to complete.

Do note that this survey is for USA Cycling as a whole.  I'll be setting up a more MWCCC specific spreadsheet in the next couple days that will allow us to track each school's response to COVID for the fall semester.

In the meantime, stay safe, stay healthy, and keep the rubber side down.

Bryan Garfoot
MWCCC Conference Director
Take the USA Cycling COVID-19 Rider Survey.eml

Bryan Garfoot

May 14, 2020, 1:40:49 PM5/14/20
to Midwest Collegiate Cycling Conference
Rather than setting up my own spreadsheet to track school's responses for the fall, I found a database that is trying to track that for schools nationwide:

If your school is not listed, or if you know that the listed information is inaccurate, I would encourage you to use the form provided to submit information.

Nick Garrison

Jun 29, 2020, 5:23:32 PM6/29/20
to Midwest Collegiate Cycling Conference
Hello Bryan,

There has been rumor of the mountain bike season being cancelled for the season.
I am just reaching out to see if anything can be confirmed yet.

Thank you,

Nick Garrison
Western Michigan University

Bryan Garfoot

Jun 29, 2020, 5:55:01 PM6/29/20
to Midwest Collegiate Cycling Conference
Nick,

Short answer: no, nothing has been confirmed either way just yet.

Longer answer:  all of the conference directors had a meeting with relevant USA Cycling folks last week, and I know varsity coaches are also meeting this week to discuss the state of things.  Several conferences - the Atlantic and Western Conferences in particular - have already announced that they will be cancelling their mountain bike seasons, and pretty much all the others (Midwest included) hope to have a firm answer either way by mid-July.

The next USA Cycling update on National Championships is due out tomorrow (June 30th), but I wouldn't expect a firm decision on Collegiate Mountain Bike Nationals just yet.  I do expect a firm decision by July 15th, and would be surprised if things push beyond then.

USA Cycling has been adamant that for any event to be permitted, it must have the approval of the local municipality and follow all event guidelines in place for that area.  That's not to say it's impossible to hold events, just that they must be done in the proper manner.  Given the recent rise in COVID cases nationally and some states rolling back reopening plans, a lot of event guidelines may get tightened again by the time our season rolls around in September.

All of that is to say that I want to know what everyone thinks on the matter.  I'd like to schedule a call next Tuesday at 6PM Eastern for anyone who has an interest in our mountain bike season (or what may be a lack thereof).  If you can't make it at that time, feel free to email or call me with your concerns.  Look for a separate Google invite for that call.

Bryan Garfoot
MWCCC Conference Director

Bryan Garfoot

Jul 7, 2020, 11:48:59 AM7/7/20
to Midwest Collegiate Cycling Conference
Just a friendly reminder for anyone who wants to discuss our mountain bike season that our call is tonight at 6 eastern.  If anyone needs the invite again, I can certainly provide that.

Bryan