MVP4G2 is released

Frank Hossfeld

May 9, 2018, 5:12:07 AM5/9/18
to Mvp4g

A few days ago we have released version 1.0.1 of MVP4G2.

This version contains all features to build application using history and event handling. Most of the features of MVP4G are implemented (except those, which depends on GWT class or those which are not be able to implement because of the using APT).

To start working with MVP4G2 you can:

MVP4G2 has no dependencies to GWT and does not use generators.

MVP4G2 is tested against J2CL (thanks to Colin Alworth) and works!

Of course MVP4G2 also works with GWT 2.8.2 and any current available widget library (f. e.: native GWT widgets, GXT, widgets based on Elemento, Elemental 2, etc.)

pierre chau

May 10, 2018, 11:47:41 PM5/10/18
to Mvp4g
nice!

pierre chau

May 10, 2018, 11:57:10 PM5/10/18
to Mvp4g
Btw, any migration guide from mvp4g to mvp4g2?  We have been using multiple modules and module loader, it will be nice if it support incremental compile of module instead of re-compile all.

Frank Hossfeld

May 11, 2018, 1:29:06 PM5/11/18
to Mvp4g
I will write a migration guide.

It will be found here: https://github.com/mvp4g/mvp4g2/wiki/Migrate-from-MVP4G--to-MVP4G2-(ToDo)

The real difference to mvp4g is the lost of the broadcast event. That was not possible to migrate due to fact of using annotation processing. Broadcast events can easily replace with the new @EventHandler annotation (in mvp4g v1 the @Eventhandler annotation marks an event handler. This is now done with the @Handler annotation). It will be describe inside the migration guide.

Currently I am not sure, how to implement the multi module feature. Using the old style will increase build time and the code base. My first idea is: a child module is a normal, stand alone GWT project. In the main module the depending modules are listed (my current idea is using an annotation). The main module generates the script tags and add them to the host page. The communication is done via postMessage and the data transfer will use the web storage.

As a said before, this is only an idea. Before we start implementing, the GWT modules (like dom, event, etc) have to be migrated to separate projects which have no dependency to GWT 2.x (this is in progress). Keep in mind, that mvp4g2 have to avoid any dependency to the current GWT implementation. Otherwise we will loose the ability to work with J2CL / GWT 3.

if you have any ideas to improve mvp4g2 or regarding the multi module feature, I really appreciate to get to know it. We can discuss using the mvp4g gitter room.