Feature Requests for the next version of MVP4G

Frank Hossfeld

Nov 11, 2015, 4:13:47 AM11/11/15
to Mvp4g
As most of you know, there will be a breaking change in GWT 3. GWT 3 will remove generators. MVP4g will not work with this version of GWT.

For the future, there will be two versions of MVP4G. The current version which will support GWT 2.x and a new version which will support GWT 3. I already have checked MVP4G with the GWT 2.8.0 beta. The good news is, all test cases seems to work. There will be a long term support for the current version of MVP4G and no need to migrate.

I have already started implementing the next version which will replace the generator with annotation processors. It looks very promising. But in fact, it is a complete new implementation of the framework and some things will be very hard to implement in the new version. So there will be changes.

My goal is to have the same presenter and event handling like we have in the current version. Also I would like to reduce the dependencies on third party libs. I will remove GIN and use Dagger instead (As soon as there is a GWT version).

In MVP4G there is an event based history/place management. Do you like it, or should we create a more GWT like implementation?

Are there features you would like to see in the new version?

the.wizard

Nov 11, 2015, 4:32:35 AM11/11/15
to Mvp4g
Hi Frank,
I was using Mvp4g 1.5.0 right now and GWT 2.7.0. In my project, I have a parent module which contains a lot of child modules (more than 50 modules), and whenever I start the super dev mode, it takes some time to compile it before it can run in my browser. Sometimes it even failed to compile because it run out of memory.
Now I need to find a better way for my development, since this problem really slow down my development. In normal GWT project, we could simply split our module into one gwt.xml file, then I create 2 root gwt.xml file. The first one (let's call it Original.gwt.xml) will consist all the gwt.xml module in my project and will be used for production build. The second one (let's call it Dev.gwt.xml) will only consist the gxt.xml module I was working on (simply to say, it will only contains 1 inherits gwt xml file).
But since Mvp4g multi modules feature was using java interface that inherits Mvp4gModule, this approach was not working. It keeps compile all modules that exist (or registered in root module).
I think it will be a good new feature if we could only compile the root module and one selected child module? Of course without comment and uncomment the child modules registration in root event bus.
Any suggestion and comment will be appreciated.
Thanks and regards.

Nicolas Perez

Nov 11, 2015, 11:01:16 PM11/11/15
to Mvp4g
Hi Frank,

I will say that as a first step, the next version of MVP4G should be the most similar possible to the existing one,  this is a lot of work already.

That been said, I think one feature I'm missing is a better error handling when a runtime exception happened inside a presenter or handler. It will be nice to see in the log which presenter throws the exception, some times when an event is listened by many presenter is not easy to identify the presenter throwing the exception, at the moment such exceptions are capture only by the class declared inside the GWT.setUncaughtExceptionHandler()

pierre chau

Nov 30, 2015, 8:04:23 PM11/30/15
to Mvp4g
Hi Frank,

We are like to see child module, code splitting and module loader will be the key features. If there is a way to improve compile speed or selectively compile the module in superdev mode will be great.

Thanks and regards.

Frank Hossfeld

Dec 1, 2015, 1:20:11 AM12/1/15
to Mvp4g
Hi Pierre,

thanks for your response. I will put it on the feature request list. Looking at code splitting we have to wait if GWT will support it in the future. There was a talk at the GWT.create that code splitting will be done by the compiler. (We will see)

SDM speed will be increased because will we use annotation processing instead of generators.

Frank

pierre chau

Dec 3, 2015, 8:09:04 PM12/3/15
to Mvp4g
Hi Frank,

Thanks for the good news on the SDM speed.

Pierre