Re: [mvdbms] Digest for mvdbms@googlegroups.com - 4 updates in 1 topic

altsys1

Dec 8, 2021, 3:43:20 PM12/8/21
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Jackson!!  Welcome to the Pick/Multivalue world!!!  Refreshing to know someone new has discovered this fantastic system.

Just curious, what led you to Pick?   What other languages and environments do you hail from?  Are you under 30 yrs of age!!???  What type of business is running Pick?   :)

You might try Googling "Jon Sisk" and "Matt Stern" PICK books and guides (they below to this Group I believe).   I couldn't have thrived without the Pick Pocket Guide.

BTW - There are a lot of great and knowledgable people here and on FB etc.

Best of luck!

Bruce Cameron
The information contained in this communication is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.   It may contain confidential or legally privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by responding to this email and then delete it from your system. The sender is neither liable for the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt.

On Wed, Dec 8, 2021 at 1:30 PM <mvd...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Jackson Ramos <jackso...@qualco.com>: Dec 08 07:37AM -0800

Is there a list of conversion codes for OCONV and ICONV I'm trying to find
what G-2 converts to in OCONV, also this probably won't be my first post
asking about PICK/BASIC i'm fairly new to the language, about 2 months in
of learning.
Martin Phillips <mphi...@rocketsoftware.com>: Dec 08 04:11PM

Hi Jackson,

Conversion codes vary a little between platforms but the G code is, as far as I know, the same everywhere. Here is a description from the QM documentation:

The group conversion code treats the source data as being formed from a number of components separated by a delimiter character and extracts specified components. It works identically on input and output conversions.

Gcn Returns the first n components of the source data delimited by character c.

Gscn Skips s components and then returns the next n components of the source data delimited by character c.

Example

Consider a date stored in character form as 03/10/98. The G conversion code could be used to extract components of this date:

G/1 returns 03

G/2 returns 03/10

G1/1 returns 10

Martin

Is there a list of conversion codes for OCONV and ICONV I'm trying to find what G-2 converts to in OCONV, also this probably won't be my first post asking about PICK/BASIC i'm fairly new to the language, about 2 months in of learning.

This communication and any attachments may contain confidential information of Rocket Software, Inc. All unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Rocket Software immediately and destroy all copies of this communication. Thank you.
philippe GRACIA <phi...@gmail.com>: Dec 08 07:40AM -0800

hello.
G is for string extract
- is the delimiter
2 is the string returned
ex: abc-def , g-2 will return def

Steve Trimble <cdm...@gmail.com>: Dec 08 12:22PM -0600

click here:
http://downloads.openqm.com/help/index.html

index 'Index' you will find: Conversion codes
of course, all of these work with openQM (it is the best of PICK)

*Computerized Data Mgmt Inc*
*Steve Trimble*
*(501) 772-3450 cell / text*
*cdm...@gmail.com <cdm...@gmail.com>*

Jackson Ramos

Dec 8, 2021, 3:50:40 PM12/8/21
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Hey Bruce,

I actually was self learning JavaScript and ruby when i came upon a job which is allowing me to learn Pick on the job. It's actually a factory that manufactures pool chemicals. I don't work in the factory i work in an office offsite.
I am actually 26 years of age.
Looking forward to learning Pick and meeting great people in this group

Jackson

Neil Pratt

Dec 15, 2021, 4:33:33 PM12/15/21
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Hi Jackson,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Pick. Pick and Multi Value systems have helped put bread on my table and a roof over my head since Feb 1985. I was 24 at the time, fresh out of college and stumbled on Pick quite by accident. :)

We have 4 younger guys in our IT dept. in their early 30s who are learning Pick programming along with all the new fangled stuff.  Our sister company has 2 more. They grumble about not being to just use Google to get answers to their questions but I think I'm a fairly good substitute. :)

Brian Speirs

Dec 15, 2021, 5:01:54 PM12/15/21
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Don't forget to point them to this forum! We need a few more questions and more participation here. Not to mention that there a many people in this group who have experienced a wide variety of situations. If they can't help your staff directly, they will certainly be able to make some suggestions.

Cheers,

Brian

Jackson Ramos

Dec 27, 2021, 8:10:32 AM12/27/21
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Hello everyone,

I will definitely ask away whenever i have "dumb" questions. It's a little hard to find any resources on pick but I'm sure this forum is a good replacement with people with a lot of experience. Thanks guys.

Jackson

Wols Lists

Dec 27, 2021, 9:03:19 AM12/27/21
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On 27/12/2021 13:10, Jackson Ramos wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I will definitely ask away whenever i have "dumb" questions. It's a
> little hard to find any resources on pick but I'm sure this forum is a
> good replacement with people with a lot of experience. Thanks guys.

I'm sure you've heard this before, there's no such thing as a dumb
question, there's only smart-ass replies.

Just make sure you at least try to find the answer in the docu, and tell
us what you've found (even if it seems daft). It helps in getting a good
response :-)

Cheers,
Wol