PICK/MULTIVALUE - Basics

Bret

Jan 5, 2024, 3:15:05 PMJan 5
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
I'm walking into this clueless.
Application uses Accuterm to connect.
I believe the application is running on the MultiValue envionment D3.

It is running on a Windows 2008 server.
These folders exist:
C:\ProgramData\RocketSoftware\D3
C:\Program Files\RocketSoftware\D3
C:\Program Files (x86)\RocketSoftware\D3ODBC

Could be others, but not sure where to look.

So how do I figure out what we have?

My immediate tasks are to create some new print queues for the application. This seems to be done in a Coldstart file.

Past support people have used Putty to log in, but not sure I need to do it that way..or
if I can do it in another environment or tool (jBase?) I have direct access to the server.

My second task is to get an Access database connected. I have done this using the SQLDEMO account.

I'm throwing a lot out here, hoping to get some helping finding my way around the system.
Big thanks for any suggestion and hand holding.
Thanks,
Bret

Wols Lists

Jan 5, 2024, 4:05:37 PMJan 5
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On 05/01/2024 20:13, Bret wrote:
> I'm walking into this clueless.
> Application uses Accuterm to connect.
> I believe the application is running on the MultiValue envionment D3.

Okay, I don't know anything about D3, but

> It is running on a Windows 2008 server.
> These folders exist:
> C:\ProgramData\RocketSoftware\D3
> C:\Program Files\RocketSoftware\D3
> C:\Program Files (x86)\RocketSoftware\D3ODBC

These folders scream that yes you are right, you do have D3. And the
fact that you are running Rocket on 2008 makes it look like you have a
support contract. Whether that's with Rocket or a reseller, I wouldn't know.

> Could be others, but not sure where to look.
>
> So how do I figure out what we have?
>
> My immediate tasks are to create some new print queues for the
> application. This seems to be done in a Coldstart file.
>
> Past support people have used Putty to log in, but not sure I need to do
> it that way..or
> if I can do it in another environment or tool (jBase?) I have direct
> access to the server.

Pick (ie all MultiValue implementations) thinks it is a mini-computer
and you connect with a terminal emulator. Putty is your standard freebie
terminal emulator product. It's more than good enough.

Accuterm on the other hand, is a "terminal emulator plus" - it knows all
about Pick and has all sorts of fancy extras / smarts.

> My second task is to get an Access database connected. I have done this
> using the SQLDEMO account.

The existence of the D3ODBC account says you need to connect using ODBC
- the standard mechanism for access. I've done similar with UniVerse,
but other people will need to guide you with D3. You will need to run
something over your D3 FILEs to make them look like ODBC tables, and
then then connector will allow you to point Access at them and read them.

Likewise with your printers, in UniVerse I just did "SETPTR blah blah
\\windows\share", but I don't know how you do it in D3.

> I'm throwing a lot out here, hoping to get some helping finding my way
> around the system.
> Big thanks for any suggestion and hand holding.
> Thanks,
> Bret

Cheers,
Wol

Bret

Jan 6, 2024, 3:22:38 AMJan 6
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Thanks for taking the time,Wols.
Good info about Accuterm.
Bret

Rafael Rivas

Jan 8, 2024, 10:50:42 AMJan 8
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Good morning Wols, I can help you with the first question that I am most familiar with.
1) the printers that are connected in Windows should be seen in D3 device manager and you assign them to the print queue of your choice,
if they do not appear you have to execute the command dev-remov n24, this command removes the print queue 24
dev-make -t ntprinter -n 24 -a "\\Admin_3\Eplx300,s"
this command assigns the printer to D3 in print queue 24, where admin_3
is the computer name where the printer is installed and eplx300
is the name of the shared printer installed on the samestartptr 3,3,0,s24

I hope it works PS: the best terminal emulator is the accuterm, my personal opinion
Rafael Rivas

Bret

Jan 8, 2024, 2:26:13 PMJan 8
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Rafael, Thanks
This is my printer queue file (below).

the ct command is telling how to display the data
Would it be possible for you to tell what this command is doing?

Would it be possible for you to tell what the top couple lines d?
I'm sure this is super basic, but it will help me understand the command line syntax.

ct md user-coldstart

     user-coldstart

001 n

002 trap dcd exit

003 sp-kill d0

004 sp-kill d1

005 sp-kill d2

006 sp-kill d3

007 SP-KILL D4

008 SP-KILL D5

009 SP-KILL D6

010 SP-KILL D7

011 SP-KILL D8

012 SP-KILL D9

013 SP-KILL D10

014 SP-KILL D11

015 SP-KILL D12

016 SLEEP 5

017 dev-remov n200

018 dev-remov n201

019 dev-remov n202

020 dev-remov n203

021 dev-remov n204

022 dev-remov n205

023 dev-remov n206

024 dev-remov n207

025 dev-remov n208

026 dev-remov n209

027 dev-remov n210

028 dev-remov n211

029 dev-remov n212

030 SLEEP 3

031 dev-make -t ntprinter -n 200 -a "F0"

032 startptr 0,0,0,s200 (s

033 dev-make -t ntprinter -n 201 -a "Kyocera"

034 startptr 1,1,0,s201 (s

035 dev-make -t ntprinter -n 202 -a "F2"

036 startptr 2,2,0,s202 (s

037 dev-make -t ntprinter -n 203 -a "F3"

038 startptr 3,3,0,s203 (s

039 dev-make -t ntprinter -n 204 -a "F4"

040 startptr 4,4,0,s204 (s

041 dev-make -t ntprinter -n 205 -a "F5"

042 startptr 5,5,0,s205 (s

043 dev-make -t ntprinter -n 206 -a "F6"

044 startptr 6,6,0,s206 (s

045 dev-make -t ntprinter -n 207 -a "F7"

046 startptr 7,7,0,s207 (s

047 dev-make -t ntprinter -n 208 -a "F8"

048 startptr 8,8,0,s208 (s

049 dev-make -t ntprinter -n 209 -a "F9"

050 startptr 9,9,0,s209 (s

051 dev-make -t ntprinter -n 210 -a "F10"

052 startptr 10,10,0,s210 (s

053 dev-make -t ntprinter -n 211 -a "sr-slab-edge"

054 startptr 11,11,0,s211 (s

055 dev-make -t ntprinter -n 212 -a "sr-slab-ticket"

056 startptr 12,12,0,s212 (s

057 LISTPTR (N

058 DEV-LIST N

059 SET-RUNAWAY-LIMIT 50000