MapPoint

Rick Weiser

Mar 15, 2022, 2:21:47 PM3/15/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Hi Guys,

I have a customer using MapPoint and needs to replace it as it is no longer supported.

Does anyone have any experience with replacements?  If so, what are you using?

I found a link from Microsoft suggest possible replacements.  Has anyone tried any of these?

Thanks,

Rick

Steven Davies-Morris

Mar 18, 2022, 4:24:18 PM3/18/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
> --
> Groups "Pick and MultiValue Databases" group.
> an email to mvdbms+un...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mvdbms/3472698c-aca0-4e22-b135-d7ceb7f35d36n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mvdbms/3472698c-aca0-4e22-b135-d7ceb7f35d36n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Rick, I am dealing with the same thing. I am currently testing a 30 day evaluation of Maptitude from Caliper for a customer. It's way more product than is needed but it handles all the route management perfectly.
https://www.caliper.com/maptovu.htm
--
SDM a 21st century schizoid man in SoCal
Systems Theory website www.systemstheory.net
Through The Looking Glass radio show at www.deepnuggets.com
Email "The Cleaner System" at cleaner...@yahoo.com

Wol

Mar 18, 2022, 6:49:43 PM3/18/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Looks like Samsara might work for you.

https://www.samsara.com/uk/

Okay, it took me to the uk site, but it appears to be an American
company. The company I work for (Ocado) use that and Fleet Dashboard,
but it looks like we'll be dumping dashboard.

Can't tell you how big the fleet is (it's not I'm not allowed, I'm new
and don't yet have a feel for it :-), but it's four sites with probably
about 30-40 lorries at each.

Cheers,
Wol

Rick Weiser

Mar 20, 2022, 11:15:44 AM3/20/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Thanks, The customer is looking at multiple possibilities.  Once they make a decision, I will be involved with interfacing.

allen bell

Mar 20, 2022, 11:16:37 AM3/20/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve,

One of my clients was in the same position several years ago. I wrote a VB program that calls the Bing Maps apis. Not terribly difficult. But if I had to do it again, I would probably write it in C#.

One thing to be aware of, you,can sign up for a no charge developer account to use Bing Maps but be aware,  you will be allowed 250,000 api calls per year. If you go over that the cheapest account for more than 250,000 api calls is $6,000 per year.

There are a number of other services out there you can use like Google maps and others, and they're all about the same and most provide very similar apis for address to LatLong translation, map tiles (the Maps themselves), routing, isochrones, etc.

Good luck!

Wols Lists

Mar 20, 2022, 11:36:42 AM3/20/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On 18/03/2022 21:57, allen bell wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> One of my clients was in the same position several years ago. I wrote a
> VB program that calls the Bing Maps apis. Not terribly difficult. But if
> I had to do it again, I would probably write it in C#.
>
> One thing to be aware of, you,can sign up for a no charge developer
> account to use Bing Maps but be aware,  you will be allowed 250,000 api
> calls per year. If you go over that the cheapest account for more than
> 250,000 api calls is $6,000 per year.
>
> There are a number of other services out there you can use like Google
> maps and others, and they're all about the same and most provide very
> similar apis for address to LatLong translation, map tiles (the Maps
> themselves), routing, isochrones, etc.

Talking of satnav functions, dunno about Bing maps, but my experience of
Google Maps (both for commercial and personal use) is it's aimed at
cars. Use it for vans or lorries in the UK and you are probably heading
for a world of hurt. That said, the commercial alternatives aimed at
commercial vehicles aren't much better ...

As a perfect example, given the choice of sending my van through a 6'6"
ADVISORY width restriction, or sending it under a 9'6" bridge, the
satnav chose to send my ten foot van under the bridge ... I don't think
my bosses would have been amused if I'd brought the van back as a
convertible ...

The thing I'm involved with with Samsara is its use of webhooks - it can
dump information into a BigQuery database for us to use.

Cheers,
Wol