Spectrum? Zumapalooza?

Bob Markowitz

Nov 2, 2021, 4:09:32 PM11/2/21
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Does the concentration of MultiValue databases in the possession of Rocket Software mean the demise of a generic MultiValue  annual get together?

When the pandemic is over will Rocket hold an annual meeting for its user base? Will they create a new MultiValue meeting? If they do, will Revelation Software, ONgroup, others be invited?

Nathan Rector

Nov 3, 2021, 10:01:07 AM11/3/21
to mvd...@googlegroups.com

Regarding International Spectrum, we are waiting for "non-required" business travel to come back before we decide how, what, and when we run a live conference.

-Nathan Rector
  International Spectrum

On 11/2/2021 2:09 PM, Bob Markowitz wrote:
Does the concentration of MultiValue databases in the possession of Rocket Software mean the demise of a generic MultiValue  annual get together?

When the pandemic is over will Rocket hold an annual meeting for its user base? Will they create a new MultiValue meeting? If they do, will Revelation Software, ONgroup, others be invited?

Nathan Rector
International Spectrum, Inc
http://www.intl-spectrum.com
Phone: 720-259-1356

Will Johnson

Nov 3, 2021, 2:33:44 PM11/3/21
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
From the point of view of someone who has never worked directly for any database vendor, but always for either software houses or end users, I don't think the point of Spectrum is for the databases at all.

From what I recall from past Spectrums, the vast majority of presentations are either software suites from independent software houes, or dedicated tools.
A bit of hardware.

Tony Gravagno

Nov 15, 2021, 5:11:15 PM11/15/21
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Spectrum isn't any one thing. It's for developers to find tools. For anyone to get more information about any platform of choice. For hardware vendors. And for end-users to validate their investments and find solutions that are compatible with their environment.

While a bit of a stress for those who needed to decide which conference to attend, and anyone concerned about fragmentation of the industry, in the past it made a lot of sense to have U2-specific events, and Zumapalooza to profile jBase+QM.

With all R83/Information platforms now under one roof, it makes more sense for Rocket to host its own show. Zumasys is no longer playing in that space. I'm assuming they will still do Zumapalooza but the messaging would be very different. There are now very few competitors who would feel excluded from a Rocket show. Revelation (fine platform) has nothing to offer the rest of the MV industry (we can debate elsewhere about connecting from an OI-based front-end). Rocket has nothing to benefit from including ONgroup. These companies are 100% competitors.

The MV industry technically doesn't need Spectrum anymore. However, that's like saying "we have Fox News, why should we have any other media?". I think Spectrum has always been a necessary impartial entity that didn't bias against competing products. Spectrum provides the platform-neutral dose of reality (pun intended) that we need to help everyone to understand their true options. If someone doesn't find what they want at a Rocket show now, they'll leave the industry. This could happen perhaps with Rocket being selective about offerings they host, about the value they place on offerings, about their sense of competition with their channel. That doesn't happen with Spectrum where the goal is to bring "people" in, not to ensure consistent messaging for their own products.

Back when Gus and Monica were running Spectrum, they shifted to conferences in many countries rather than just one big conference, and then they were challenged with too much fragmentation of the audience. They were talking about virtual conferences - way ahead of the conference industry at that time. With the coming of COVID-19, that whole industry got a swift kick in the pants, Zoom became a household word, companies found they liked being virtual, old-school on-site conferences died a fast death, and online global conferences became huge successes. I was amazed that Spectrum wasn't one of the first companies to transition to virtual, creatively deriving revenue from companies per-day and/or per-session, from ads to support the event, and from commissions on purchases through Spectrum. I was amazed that there wasn't some kind of competition offered to create FOSS to support virtual conference administration with a MV platform. I was amazed that the magazine didn't blossom with content to temporarily replace the live events. Knowing that conversations were not going to be taking place about live events, I was amazed that there wasn't a huge shift toward keeping people engaged by other means online.

I love Spectrum for what it has been and can be. It could have been a leader in dark times. If the current plan doesn't change, as  I said, I don't think the industry "needs" Spectrum anymore. The writing was on the wall when many of these companies (including tool vendors) started to do their own shows. Spectrum needs new ways, fast, to make the industry "want" them, in addition to or (boldly) instead of a Rocket show.

jes

Nov 15, 2021, 8:03:35 PM11/15/21
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
TL/DR: Spectrum was for tools

Lisa Levsen

Nov 16, 2021, 1:32:59 PM11/16/21
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
I'd prefer a virtual spectrum with either break-out rooms or specific zooms for topics. I don't know why we'd need to wait to meet in person...

Lisa Levsen

Dick Thiot

Nov 16, 2021, 2:10:50 PM11/16/21
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
If we had a virtual spectrum then we wouldn't need to have more than one session going at a time.  You would simply choose the sessions and times that were of interesting and worked in your schedule.

Bob Markowitz

Nov 16, 2021, 2:51:30 PM11/16/21
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
I agree that we should have a virtual meeting but who will I virtually sit with at the virtual bar to discuss the virtual attendee count? Who wants to set it up?

Lisa Levsen

Nov 16, 2021, 3:11:43 PM11/16/21
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Bob,

I suspect that the Multi Value community is expert at drinking at home via Zoom. We just need cocktail breakout rooms. ;)

Lisa Levsen

Bob Markowitz

Nov 18, 2021, 3:37:03 PM11/18/21
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Anytime!

frosty

Dec 31, 2021, 3:53:10 PM12/31/21
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
My vote for POTY!

Rick Weiser

Jan 4, 2022, 9:28:03 AM1/4/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Bob,

No one ever wanted to sit with you anyway! :)

Rick

Lisa Levsen

Jan 4, 2022, 9:46:50 AM1/4/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Hey Rick Weiser, I will always sit with my friend Bob for a drink. Nobody puts Bob in the corner.....

Jim Idle

Jan 5, 2022, 10:37:21 AM1/5/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
I did! So long as we were using his expense account.

Rick Weiser

Jan 5, 2022, 10:37:56 AM1/5/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
You're FIRED!

Rick Weiser

Jan 5, 2022, 10:39:45 AM1/5/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Hi Lisa,

See that is where you are wrong.  Bob likes the corner.  His head fits perfectly in it! :)

Rick Weiser

Jan 5, 2022, 10:40:44 AM1/5/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Jim, FYI, much of that expense account was charged to jBASE and you know how we drank back then!

Jim Idle

Jan 5, 2022, 10:58:34 PM1/5/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
So, you're saying I paid anyway? Fake news ;)

Rick Weiser

Jan 7, 2022, 12:38:05 PM1/7/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
You can fool some peeps, but not the ones that were there!

doug....@dcswms.com

Jan 7, 2022, 12:51:35 PM1/7/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
All
  Can we keep this forum for relevant information to MV programming topics. It’s seems to be turning into a social chat form. That does not help any MV programmers/users.  But so many posts about nothing just hurts the MV community
Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone

Rick Weiser

Jan 7, 2022, 1:07:11 PM1/7/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Doug,

Really?!?  It hurts the community?!?  Keeping social with people in the age is keeping us sane.

As a manager of this forum, I don't see any harm in this.  Sorry, you don't feel the same!

Rick

Wols Lists

Jan 7, 2022, 1:42:12 PM1/7/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On 07/01/2022 18:07, Rick Weiser wrote:
> Doug,
>
> Really?!?  It hurts the community?!?  Keeping social with people in the
> age is keeping us sane.
>
> As a manager of this forum, I don't see any harm in this.  Sorry, you
> don't feel the same!

Maybe we need to minimise the social chit-chat. But in my experience
driving out the chit-chat destroys the forum!

It's a tricky balance - too much chit-chat puts serious people off. Too
little chit-chat, and there are very few posts, which discourages people
from posting ...

Cheers,
Wol

Jim Idle

Jan 8, 2022, 11:10:30 PM1/8/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
I joined this group a few days ago to maybe reconnect with a few people and perhaps help.

The posts complaining about my posts now outnumber the posts that the complaints are about. Except that perhaps this post requires someone to complain about my sarcasm.

I mean. Really? You’re complaining about social interaction on a post about Spectrum?

Jim

Philip Ellis

Jan 17, 2022, 3:52:50 PM1/17/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Just on the subject of Spectrum, the last magazine that I can see is Jan/Feb 2020.  Has it been published since?  Is the magazine no longer going to be produced?

Dawn Wolthuis

Jan 17, 2022, 6:12:07 PM1/17/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Good to see you here, Jim.

Count me among those who like a combo of topics. There are many interests and personality types. It is great, I think, if each person chooses the threads that interest them and ignores the rest. Im happy to see chit chat, but, then again, I’m also always happy to see Bob.

—Dawn

Sent from my iPad