reading old Sanyo/Icon file-save cartridge tape

David Braithwaite

Feb 23, 2023, 2:07:56 PM2/23/23
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
I have a few back-up tapes (cartridge tapes) from an old Sanyo/Icon system - early 90s that I would like to have read and converted to another more modern medium so that I can try to port my old system to a Unidata  system.  Can anyone offer me any assistance in this endeavor - I used a SCSI Cartridge tape drive to create this file-save.

ROBERT N

Feb 23, 2023, 5:50:51 PM2/23/23
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
I had to do something like this once and I ended up going to a GA dealer that still had the old equipment for support purposes. I think it was DATAWORKS (now EPICOR).

On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 12:07 PM David Braithwaite <dabrai...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a few back-up tapes (cartridge tapes) from an old Sanyo/Icon system - early 90s that I would like to have read and converted to another more modern medium so that I can try to port my old system to a Unidata  system.  Can anyone offer me any assistance in this endeavor - I used a SCSI Cartridge tape drive to create this file-save.

Dick Thiot

Feb 24, 2023, 10:15:56 AM2/24/23
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
I think that you have two difficult challenges.  The first is finding hardware that can read the tape.  It doesn't have to be Sanyo/ICON, just a 1/4" cartridge.  The next challenge is whether tapes that old can even still be read.  Magnetic tapes deteriorate over time and I suspect that at a minimum you will get a lot of read errors if you can even read them at all.  Not even CD media is permanent although it has a longer life expectancy than magnetic tape.  From what I have read in controlled conditions you could expect 10-20 years from magnetic tapes.  I assume that those Sanyo/ICON tapes are older than 20 years since I haven't worked at Sanyo/ICON for over 30 years.

Dick Thiot

geneb

Feb 24, 2023, 10:51:26 AM2/24/23
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 24 Feb 2023, Dick Thiot wrote:

> I think that you have two difficult challenges. The first is finding
> hardware that can read the tape. It doesn't have to be Sanyo/ICON, just a
> 1/4" cartridge. The next challenge is whether tapes that old can even
> still be read. Magnetic tapes deteriorate over time and I suspect that at
> a minimum you will get a lot of read errors if you can even read them at
> all. Not even CD media is permanent although it has a longer life
> expectancy than magnetic tape. From what I have read in controlled
> conditions you could expect 10-20 years from magnetic tapes. I assume that
> those Sanyo/ICON tapes are older than 20 years since I haven't worked at
> Sanyo/ICON for over 30 years.

There are folks in the vintage computer community that are experts at
retrieving data from magnetic media. The most well known is a guy named
Chuck Guzis. I don't want to give out his email address without his
consent, but you should be able to reach him via the Vintage Computer
Federation forum.

(To the original poster: if you email me directly, I'll be happy to
forward your contact info on to Chuck. If teh googs mangles my email
address, it's com dot deltasoft at geneb. ;) )

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
Some people collect things for a hobby. Geeks collect hobbies.

David Braithwaite

Feb 24, 2023, 11:30:20 AM2/24/23
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Thanks of the input Dick,

David

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Pick and MultiValue Databases" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mvdbms/CAAbj8io7oYTP6%2B0SM_REa1skwySJw%3DNxbCVDW8JxgC978VxDwA%40mail.gmail.com.

David Braithwaite

Feb 24, 2023, 11:30:26 AM2/24/23
to mvd...@googlegroups.com

Dick Thiot

Feb 24, 2023, 11:45:18 AM2/24/23
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Vintage Computer Federation lists the following on the data recovery page:
Contact data DOT recovery AT vcfed DOT org to discuss how we can assist you with extracting valuable data from obsolete media.

David Braithwaite

Feb 24, 2023, 3:46:35 PM2/24/23
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
I’ll do that - mine  is dabrai...@gmail.Com

Sent from my iPhone

geneb

Feb 24, 2023, 4:09:59 PM2/24/23
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 24 Feb 2023, Dick Thiot wrote:

> Vintage Computer Federation lists the following on the data recovery page:
> Contact data DOT recovery AT vcfed DOT org to discuss how we can assist you
> with extracting valuable data from obsolete media.

...or do what I mentioned originally and post to the forum...

ROBERT N

Feb 27, 2023, 5:06:12 PM2/27/23
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
That group sounds interesting. If that doesn't turn up anything, I would probably try Europe. I used to replace hard drive controllers of old failed Western Digital hard drives and the controllers were only available in Europe since they hold onto older equipment a little more than the US.

Steven Davies-Morris

Feb 28, 2023, 2:35:51 AM2/28/23
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
I bet dollars to donuts that Tom McTeer can help you.  Who here has a
way to contact him?

--
SDM a 21st century schizoid man in SoCal
Systems Theory website www.systemstheory.net
Through The Looking Glass radio show at www.deepnuggets.com
Email "The Cleaner System" at cleaner...@yahoo.com

christian cottet

Feb 28, 2023, 2:49:03 AM2/28/23
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Ask to rocket software in France the solution IS here

Message has been deleted