When I write a record getting an error.

kirikaran Nakuleswaran

Mar 31, 2023, 12:36:01 AM3/31/23
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Hi Team,

I read a record and update some fields then write to the file.
I am getting errors like.
"Input is not permitted when a trigger is active"

Does anyone know why that one showing?

Jim Idle

Mar 31, 2023, 2:32:34 AM3/31/23
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Which system are you using? That sounds like jBASE as I am not sure that anything else supports triggers. This usually means that the code you are changing is being run as a trigger on a file, such as a read or write trigger. The code that runs (your jBC code) is not allowed to do things like INPUT as you are in the middle of a database update.

Are you sure that this isn't an XY problem? https://xyproblem.info/

What is it that you are actually trying to do? As in what are you trying to achieve, not that you want to update some fields. Something like, when this happens in system A, I want to correct/fix/record/ B
On which system?
On which application?

Jim

Gerd Förthmann

Mar 31, 2023, 4:07:19 AM3/31/23
to mvd...@googlegroups.com

Yes, the system used would be helpful.

I have been working with triggers on D3 and Unidata for years, so it isn't only jBASE that has them.
This looks like an Update trigger to prevent data corruption, very handy when applied properly.
The message "Input is not permitted when a trigger is active" doesn't look like a system message I have seen, though.

In D3 a trigger is set using a Basic subroutine call in the MD item of the file and UD has something similar.
One would need to have a look at the code of that subroutine to see what it does if there is no documentation.

Message has been deleted