SMA Standards...

geneb

Jan 26, 2022, 5:14:20 PM1/26/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Where I can I find the "SMA Standards" for Pick-compatible systems?

tnx.

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
Some people collect things for a hobby. Geeks collect hobbies.

Nathan Rector

Jan 26, 2022, 5:23:47 PM1/26/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
I have a printed copy of them in a box somewhere.  I would have to find
and scan them to get them to you.

-Nathan

On 1/26/2022 3:14 PM, geneb wrote:
> Where I can I find the "SMA Standards" for Pick-compatible systems?
>
> tnx.
>
> g.

Nathan Rector
International Spectrum, Inc
http://www.intl-spectrum.com
Phone: 720-259-1356

geneb

Jan 26, 2022, 5:28:26 PM1/26/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 26 Jan 2022, Nathan Rector wrote:

> I have a printed copy of them in a box somewhere.  I would have to find and
> scan them to get them to you.

Thanks Nathan. I'd be happy to scan & return them to you if you like.
I've got a very complete setup for doing non-destructive scanning.

jes

Jan 27, 2022, 8:40:35 AM1/27/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
You could save time by finding a Pick Pocket Guide.

Like all the Pick Licensees before them beginning in 1981, it became the definitive standard for Pick implementations.

The Licensees used it as a check off list to confirm their port.

The SMA Standards committee, in their only unanimous action besides ordering lunch, did the same.

On a related note, the Pick Pocket Guide just turned 40.

jes

geneb

Jan 27, 2022, 10:41:44 AM1/27/22
On Thu, 27 Jan 2022, jes wrote:

> You could save time by finding a Pick Pocket Guide.

I've got one, and after reading a bit more than I had time for initially,
fell really silly. :)

That being said, I'd still like the opportunity to get a copy of the
original thing. :)

g.

> On a related note, the Pick Pocket Guide just turned 40.

\o/

Dick Thiot

Jan 27, 2022, 11:01:23 AM1/27/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Gene,

There were two SMA committees, marketing and technical.  The marketing committee had Dick Pick, Ted Sabarese, and others that weren't working directly working on the code.  I am trying to remember who was on the tech committee.  It seems like Ian Sandler, Henry Eggers, Tim Holland, Tony Speed, Chuck Sables, and others were there.  I am really fuzzy on this.  However, Jon is right, the only thing that was really ever decided that I can remember was a "least common denominator".  The goal was to start with that and then build in more features but it never proceeded that far.  It was good for a meeting every 6 or 8 weeks in Las Vegas.  I think that for some of the management types it was an excuse to go to Vegas.

Dick

geneb

Jan 27, 2022, 11:14:02 AM1/27/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 27 Jan 2022, Dick Thiot wrote:

> Gene,
>
> There were two SMA committees, marketing and technical. The marketing
> committee had Dick Pick, Ted Sabarese, and others that weren't working
> directly working on the code. I am trying to remember who was on the tech
> committee. It seems like Ian Sandler, Henry Eggers, Tim Holland, Tony
> Speed, Chuck Sables, and others were there. I am really fuzzy on this.
> However, Jon is right, the only thing that was really ever decided that I
> can remember was a "least common denominator". The goal was to start with
> that and then build in more features but it never proceeded that far. It
> was good for a meeting every 6 or 8 weeks in Las Vegas. I think that for
> some of the management types it was an excuse to go to Vegas.

Hehe. Thanks for the info Dick it's appreciated!

Pete Schellenbach

Jan 27, 2022, 3:53:00 PM1/27/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
I scanned my printed copy of the old SMA Standards a few years ago. I have just uploaded the scanned version to github. Search for SMA_Standards.

geneb

Jan 27, 2022, 5:03:28 PM1/27/22
On Thu, 27 Jan 2022, Pete Schellenbach wrote:

> I scanned my printed copy of the old SMA Standards a few years ago. I have
> just uploaded the scanned version to github. Search for SMA_Standards.

Awesome, thanks Peter!

Darren W

Jan 27, 2022, 5:10:58 PM1/27/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
All this talk about SMA committees and a team of guys in suits making regular trips to Vegas - I guess it's a complete and totally random coincidence that the original name of the system was "GIRLS" ?

I can't believe that I have spent allllll these years thinking it was an innocent acronym for Generalised Information Retrieval Language System - and not some naughty "backronym" ;)

Darren

geneb

Jan 27, 2022, 5:27:16 PM1/27/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases

Here's my forked copy of Pete's repo:

https://github.com/geneb/SMA_Standards

The only difference is that I've run them through Acrobat DC in order to
deskew & OCR them. I don't expect the OCR to be any good though. ;)

jlab...@paradigm-systems.us

Jan 27, 2022, 6:00:20 PM1/27/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
I would be interested in that document as well.

Regards,
Jay LaBonte
President & CEO

P: 561-705-3688 |:: jlab...@paradigm-systems.us
2234 North Federal Hwy, Suite 1056, Boca Raton, FL 33481
www.paradigm-systems.us

Rob Allen

Jan 27, 2022, 7:02:48 PM1/27/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
I was on the Technical Standards committee for a few years, representing ADP. Those meetings were great!

Rob

Dawn Wolthuis

Jan 27, 2022, 7:56:54 PM1/27/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Could be that the name was more ironic than that, or perhaps the only way for GIRLS to be relevant to the history of PICK. Well, I have met with one of the paid “girls.”

—Dawn

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 27, 2022, at 4:11 PM, Darren W <dwra...@gmail.com> wrote:

All this talk about SMA committees and a team of guys in suits making regular trips to Vegas - I guess it's a complete and totally random coincidence that the original name of the system was "GIRLS" ?

chandru murthi

Jan 31, 2022, 6:43:17 PM1/31/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases

'Well, I have met with one of the paid “girls.”'

I would love, love, to have some elucidation.
Cheers, Chandru