Opensource REST API

Ashley Chapman

Oct 28, 2022, 3:39:56 AM10/28/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Is anyone aware of an opensource REST API for Universe?  Or indeed any other Multivalue database?

Dick Thiot

Oct 28, 2022, 5:26:02 AM10/28/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Ashley,

There are lots of options for REST API to Universe as well as other MultiValue databases.  I have posted some time ago a .NET open-source option at https://github.com/dthiot/mvAPI.  This particular version uses mv.NET but could be easily modified to use UniObjects.  I'd be happy to discuss that if needed.  A REST Server is also built into the mvbasic Visual Studio Code extension, which is open source.  Search mvbasic in VS Code or go to https://github.com/mvextensions to download the code.  Rocket has several options including US RESTful Web Services, MVConnect and MVIS (may not support Universe)  There are other commercial products as well; mv.NET from Bluefinity and Linkar from KOSDAY Solutions.

You have lots of options.  MultiValue is not the isolated database environment of the past!

Dick

On Fri, Oct 28, 2022 at 2:39 AM Ashley Chapman <ash.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is anyone aware of an opensource REST API for Universe?  Or indeed any other Multivalue database?

Martyn

Oct 28, 2022, 5:49:32 AM10/28/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Hi Ashley,

It's been a while since we last spoke, I hope that you are keeping well.  I'm not up to speed on REST but I know that Don at SRP has done a lot with REST and RESTful Services and OpenInsight in recent years.  I've asked the team here about any recommended opensource REST resources for use with OpenInsight and I'll get back to you via email with anything that I hear.

All the best,
Martyn.

Ashley Manning

Oct 28, 2022, 4:43:02 PM10/28/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
RDM Infinity has a complete open source REST connector to call MV programs that is compatible with UV, JBase, D3, and others!

Let me know if we can help or if you are interested in more info!

Jay LaBonte

Oct 28, 2022, 5:44:35 PM10/28/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com

Is the RDM Infinity solution Opensource as requested?

Ashley Manning

Oct 28, 2022, 6:48:26 PM10/28/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
It is absolutely open source as I mentioned earlier. I am traveling for the Nevada Day holiday but will get the link sent over ASAP!

Tony Gravagno

Oct 30, 2022, 4:06:36 PM10/30/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Open Source projects in this industry rarely ever do well. They are started with great intent but with no contributions, credit, reviews, and eventually no support they almost always tend to die ... like a lot of non-MV FOSS. Yes yes, the VSCode integration is the immaculate exception.
Moving on from FOSS, the next best thing is a low-cost, well-supported offering.
For this I recommend looking into https://kosday.com/linkar/
Not only is Linkar cross-platform for MV, it's cross-OS, cross-code-language, and yes - there is a robust REST implementation built-in ... and I'll say it ... "much much more".

I have no financial relationship with Kosday and derive no commissions or any other benefits from such recommendations. But you can consider this an AD, as I have supported the great Kosday team with time and and various technical contributions in exactly the same way as any of us supports FOSS. I'm always happy to see the good guys survive and thrive, and Kosday and Linkar are absolutely in that category.

HTH

Kevin Powick

Oct 30, 2022, 5:36:14 PM10/30/22
On Sunday, 30 October 2022 at 16:06:36 UTC-4 Tony Gravagno wrote:

Moving on from FOSS, the next best thing is a low-cost, well-supported offering.
For this I recommend looking into https://kosday.com/linkar/

Linkar is a decent product, but it's a little annoying that Kosday is asking me to renew my subsription when the core product hasn't been an update since August 2021.  Granted, they've added PHP and Python connectivity libraries, but I'm more interested in bug fixes, and improvements to performance and the administrative interface.

--
Kevin Powick

Wol

Oct 31, 2022, 7:05:46 AM10/31/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On 28/10/2022 23:48, Ashley Manning wrote:
> It is absolutely open source as I mentioned earlier. I am traveling for
> the Nevada Day holiday but will get the link sent over ASAP!

Any chance of posting it to the list? I don't know what I want, but REST
sounds like it might be it. I want to integrate ScarletDME into a Google
Sheets BigQuery environment, and one of the things I'm looking at is the
ability to talk to other databases (Oracle ...) via their web interface.

I remember ages ago I think it was Universe came with a FILE full of
user supplied programs, so I'd like to create something like that and
put this in it if I can ...

> On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 2:44:35 PM UTC-7 Jay LaBonte wrote:
>
> Is the RDM Infinity solution Opensource as requested?____

Cheers,
Wol

KOSDAY SOLUTIONS

Oct 31, 2022, 2:04:27 PM10/31/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Tony, thank you for your kind words. In fact, your unconditional help building this project has been vital for us, and we will be always thankful for that.
----------------

Ashley, our solution is not purely Open Source, but Kosday is an Open Work team. I mean that, if possible, we implement all feedback from our clients in order to improve our product.
And, of course, it's a commercial product with a very low price.

You can visit https://github.com/kosday?tab=repositories to see all we have available so far, specially Linkar Framework, used to develop in different environtments.

Regarding your search for REST API solutions, Linkar Suite currently has what we call Linkar REST API. A simple API directly related to Linkar Server, and developed away from any standard.

We are working hard on a new product that we call Linkar Web Services. It is a new API REST "no develop". I mean that there is no need to create any service nor hosting in any web server.
Doing BASIC routines to expose data is neither needed, unless you need to execute your own subroutines.

It can be configured to be executed with no security protocols, or with Oauth2.0, IdentityServer4 or ApiKey authentication protocols, and can be executed in any machine away
from Linkar Server (Dockers, AWS...). With LinkarWS there is no neeed to create a C#, PHP, etc web sevice. You have the enpoints you need in few minutes.

It's already working in some real client environtments, and about the price, it will be free for "None" and "ApiKey" authentication modes. There will be subscriptions as well in order to provide Premium Support.
Currently, we are about to launch 2.3.0 version. We just need to update documentation. But we can give you and advance prebuild if you need it.

It is true that maybe this year we are getting longer than expected, because of Linkar Web Services, and I apologize for that.

Please find attached the change log for version 2.3.0.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Angel Rivas

Linkar_Suite_Change_Log_2_3_0.txt

Ashley Manning

Oct 31, 2022, 2:48:08 PM10/31/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Thanks for your patience as we wrapped up the release for this. We had planned to post this on 11/1 but since the topic came up we are happy to push this up!

 This project is based on the real-time connector we have used for our clients for the past 10+ years. We are processing millions of transactions through this per day and are excited to push this out to the community. There are more improvements and features that we are constantly working on to improve the product. As we do we will be updating here also.

 Let us know if you have any questions or issues. We are looking forward to the feedback and helping drive the MV community forward with new and exciting tools. https://github.com/rdminfinity/rdmBuild

geneb

Oct 31, 2022, 3:10:31 PM10/31/22
On Mon, 31 Oct 2022, Ashley Manning wrote:

> Thanks for your patience as we wrapped up the release for this. We had
> planned to post this on 11/1 but since the topic came up we are happy to
> push this up!

I don't know much about REST - I'm primarily a desktop applications
developer and do very little with the browser. That being said, this is
amazing work! I really look forward to seeing what can be done with
ScarletDME and the interface you've built!

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
Some people collect things for a hobby. Geeks collect hobbies.

Brandon Robinson

Oct 31, 2022, 5:17:54 PM10/31/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Thank you Gene we really appreciate that!

We are super excited to release this. We have been using it for a long time and are looking forward to seeing it in use outside of our own projects. We (of course) also made sure it works with ScarletDME since that is one of our favorite things also!

geneb

Oct 31, 2022, 6:25:08 PM10/31/22
On Mon, 31 Oct 2022, Brandon Robinson wrote:

> Thank you Gene we really appreciate that!
>
> We are super excited to release this. We have been using it for a long time
> and are looking forward to seeing it in use outside of our own projects. We
> (of course) also made sure it works with ScarletDME since that is one of
> our favorite things also!

Any chance of a *tiny* demo application to see how it's used?

Thanks!

Brandon Robinson

Oct 31, 2022, 6:29:08 PM10/31/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
No problem at all! We will get something pulled together and add it to the project as a sample of how to call it from end to end outside of the quick example in the readme file.

Jim Idle

Nov 1, 2022, 2:47:11 AM11/1/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
How do you deal with connection and request smoothing? If you get 100,000 requests in a very short time, do you queue them to limit the load on the back end, or just start 100,000 processes calling subroutines?

Wol

Nov 1, 2022, 10:45:41 AM11/1/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On 31/10/2022 18:48, Ashley Manning wrote:
> Let us know if you have any questions or issues. We are looking forward
> to the feedback and helping drive the MV community forward with new and
> exciting tools. https://github.com/rdminfinity/rdmBuild
> <https://github.com/rdminfinity/rdmBuild>

I know git can contain one project inside another, I don't know about
github ... I'll try and put this inside a "contrib.bp" folder in
ScarletDME. So anybody downloading Scarlet will get this as a matter of
course.

Don't worry if any docu you create is a bit scrappy, but if you can
create it with Sphinx, it can go straight into the Scarlet docu tree.

Cheers,
Wol

geneb

Nov 1, 2022, 12:08:19 PM11/1/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
On Mon, 31 Oct 2022, Brandon Robinson wrote:

> No problem at all! We will get something pulled together and add it to the
> project as a sample of how to call it from end to end outside of the quick
> example in the readme file.

That's great! Thanks Brandon!

Brandon Robinson

Nov 1, 2022, 12:33:18 PM11/1/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Thanks, Wol! That is awesome! Let me know if you need me to get that published over there and I can generate a pull request for that also.

Brandon Robinson

Nov 1, 2022, 12:33:30 PM11/1/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Hello Jim!

While this version would currently launch all of the requests (MV programs in this case and not subroutines) up to the number of user licenses on the system the requests clean up after themselves to that they do not remain logged in. The roadmap we have does have some connection pooling in the design phase.

When load testing the connector against a 5-user system we were able to complete several hundred concurrent connections while only consuming 2 user licenses at most. While running "siege" against the connector we were able to complete every request made without stalling the system or running out of resources.

Some of this will depend on what the back-end program is doing of course. Any long-running requests should not be directly tied to a web service in general, but spinning off a long-running process from the web service as a phantom or such is not an issue.

Ashley Chapman

Nov 1, 2022, 2:17:33 PM11/1/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Thanks Ashley,
This is precisely what I was looking for!  It absolutely has to be opensource as I will be extending it.  Hopefully I'll also get time to polish it up and contribute it.  That will probably be to the Scarlet DME doc tree as that's my reference platform.
Ash