Re: [mvdbms] Digest for mvdbms@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

altsys1

May 30, 2022, 4:09:32 PM5/30/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
I remember Prime Information.

On Mon, May 30, 2022 at 2:30 PM <mvd...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Mark Waterbury <mark.s.w...@gmail.com>: May 29 04:48PM -0700

I am thinking of "INFORM" from Standard Information Systems (SIS) a
time-sharing service bureau that was based in Kansas City, IIRC, in the
1970s. They were acquired by a larger company, United Computing Services
(UCS), who continued to support and maintain INFORM for a number of years.
They had a database named "INFORM" that ran on their time-sharing services,
on CDC mainframes, and allegedly it was written in FORTRAN.

(Of course, like most time-sharing service bureaus, they were eventually
overtaken by the availability of inexpensive personal computers in the
1980s, so their customer bases just dwindled away... Why continue to pay a
monthly service fee when that same amount of money easily could pay a
monthly payment on a loan or lease where a company could own their very own
personal computer system within just a few years of payments.)

From my dim memories of INFORM, it bore a very strong resemblance to many
of the PICK "mult-value" systems we are familiar with, especially the
English-like user language.

I think I saw a version of INFORM some years later, that had been converted
into a PC based Windows application, but I cannot recall or find anything
about it now, and all traces of "INFORM" (and SIS and UCS) seem to have
vanished from the interweb. :-/

If anyone has any memories or knowledge of that database, I am curious to
learn whether it was in fact a PICK derivative, or only lossely "cloned"
based on some users experiences with some of the early PICK databases such
as TRW's GIRLS, GIM-1, GIM-II or ITDS.

Thanks for any recollections anyone may have.
Bruce Cameron
The information contained in this communication is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.   It may contain confidential or legally privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by responding to this email and then delete it from your system. The sender is neither liable for the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt.

Will Johnson

May 31, 2022, 2:37:23 PM5/31/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
The query and report tool for Prime INFORMATION was called INFORM
Very bad name and marketing imho, since if you tried to do a "search" in the documents for INFORM you would get five thousand false hits.

DON'T name a crucial part of your system a short version of the name of the SYSTEM!!!!

Eugene Klaus

May 31, 2022, 2:39:37 PM5/31/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
INFORMIX

Respectfully,
Gene Klaus
Proven Unix Linux Systems Engineer | “How do you know if you can trust
someone until you take a chance and let them prove you right or
wrong?“ <Ernest Hemingway>
https://www.linkedin.com/in/eugene-klaus-a44a8811
eugene...@yahoo.com / (810) 444-9029 Cell

--
Respectfully,
Gene Klaus
Proven Unix Linux Systems Engineer | “How do you know if you can trust
someone until you take a chance and let them prove you right or
wrong?“ <ErnestHemingway>
https://www.linkedin.com/in/eugene-klaus-a44a8811
gene...@gmail.com / (810) 444-9029

Will Johnson

Jun 1, 2022, 2:45:19 PM6/1/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
No Gene it was called INFORM.
If you like I can send you the PDF manual