Accuterm and Rocket Device licenses

Rick Weiser

Apr 22, 2024, 11:06:58 AMApr 22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Hi all,

Does anyone know what Rocket is expecting or what Accuterm is sending to the database when these options are selected in Accuterm:

2024-04-19_15-50-17.png

I am using another telnet client and need to replicate what this is doing.

Thanks,

Rick

martinp...@ladybridge.com

Apr 22, 2024, 11:44:32 AMApr 22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com

Rick,

What telnet client are you using?

Martin

Rick Weiser

Apr 22, 2024, 12:00:06 PMApr 22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Hi Martin,

The client is using TTWin from TurboSoft.

Thanks,

Rick

Peter Schellenbach

Apr 22, 2024, 12:24:33 PMApr 22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Hi Rick -

Each platform has a DLL they supply to the terminal emulator developer. Each has its own protocol for handling the device license handshake, and sometimes the handshake is different on Windows than on *nix. Turbosoft would need to contact someone at Rocket to request access to the DLL(s) and instructions for implementing the handshake.

Thanks, Pete

Joe Goldthwaite

Apr 22, 2024, 1:40:05 PMApr 22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick,

I don't think this gives you much.  It works out to 1 free license per user computer. In other words, only  the second session from the same machine gets free use of the license. The third, forth, etc. don't. That means if you have someone who has four sessions opened they'll be using three licenses. Also, if someone shells out from UV and then executes UV again, the second session uses a license even if shared licenses are enabled and working.

If your client has a lot of people with multiple sessions than it may help. If it's mainly the developers it doesn't gain much.

Also, I have a lot of users running AccuTerm with the Wyse50 Viewpoint Enhanced emulation. The license negotiation sends the sequence that locks the Wyse terminal so whenever they tried to start up the licensing the users would lock up at login. I had to edit the main UV.LOGIN proc and send an STX to unlock the terminal just in case it had gotten locked up.

It ended up being kind of a pain. The money would probably have been better spent buying more licenses at least in our case.

Rick Weiser

Apr 22, 2024, 1:48:15 PMApr 22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Hi,

I know this works on UV/Win and my client has other implementations that this works for. That is as long as you purchase Device licensing.

Rick

Scott Ballinger

Apr 24, 2024, 5:50:12 PMApr 24
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
I have this working with UV (2 sessions per user, counts as one license seat) but it only works for telnet and not for ssh. Since many sites these days don't allow telnet for security reasons, it it not that useful.
I have not seen it working on D3.
/Scott Ballinger

bwyat...@comcast.net

Apr 24, 2024, 6:45:51 PMApr 24
to mvd...@googlegroups.com

This works for me on U2 and jBASE... D3 treats licensing differently; I believe it is up to 3 connections from 1 device, although no more than 2 of either ODBC or telnet and 1 of the other.

Have two clients, each with 10 sessions per device on each; both sites have multiple servers.

The U2 site uses wIntegrate, the jBASE site uses AccuTerm.

I avoid using “users” in the discussion – it’s device licensing (single client device [laptop, PC], whether by IP or hostname), not user licensing.

I believe the above to be accurate to the best of my aged recollections...

Bob Wyatt

Apr 24, 2024, 11:55:15 PMApr 24
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
I have working with D3, with Telnet ( ssh doesn’t support), i secured my local network not allowing any other traffic using firewall, and windows rds, and works perfectly

Enviado do Gmail para celular

Peter Schellenbach

Apr 25, 2024, 3:00:20 PMApr 25
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
Device licensing should work with telnet or ssh, however I believe that for D3, ssh device licensing is quite complex to set up.