Unusual Request

Jay LaBonte

Sep 16, 2022, 4:08:37 PM9/16/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com

I contacted Rocket Software about this and claim they do not have a copy and suggested I reach out to the community.

Does anyone have a copy of UniData 5.2 for Windows or RedHat?

I need and ISO image of the install disk.

I know, now you asking “WHY”. Because a company I am working with is still using UD 5.2 and has never upgraded. I am trying to setup a UD 5.2  to emulate their system so I can test their application and test procedure for upgrading to 8.1 as a proof of concept so I can bring them out of the dark ages.

Thanks in Advance,

Jay LaBonte

Wol

Sep 16, 2022, 4:57:21 PM9/16/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
What OS is their current system?

If it's Red Hat you should just be able to clone it.

If it's Windows, well ... but you should be able to clone that, and then
run it unlicenced for a couple of days ...

The snag, obviously, is if you can't shut it down long enough to clone
it ...

Cheers,
Wol

Jay LaBonte

Sep 16, 2022, 6:03:14 PM9/16/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
It is Windows and they cannot shut it down to clone. Cloning would also clone their data, which that cannot do for security reasons. They where planning on simply proging the software and a test account with dummy data. The big issue is getting a UniData 5.2 install.

On windows would be best, but Linux would work as well and the eventual goal is to move to linux,

Regards,
Jay LaBonte
President & CEO

P: 561-705-3688 |:: jlab...@paradigm-systems.us
2234 North Federal Hwy, Suite 1056, Boca Raton, FL 33481
www.paradigm-systems.us

Dave Pomroy

Sep 16, 2022, 9:31:38 PM9/16/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
Wow. I am running Unidata 7.3.7 on Windows and thought I was way far behind in the game.

I do remember upgrading from I believe 5.5.2 to 7.2.7 many moons ago and had no issues. I did have to run updatevoc after the upgrade. But had no other issues. I do have the 7.2.7 install for Windows but that's about as far back I can get

Jay LaBonte

Sep 17, 2022, 10:36:34 AM9/17/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
I have most of the installs back to UD 6.1 but I need 5.2 for this project.

I don’t thing the upgrade will be an issue, but I still have to do a proof of completion concept.

Sent from my iPhone

Wols Lists

Sep 17, 2022, 2:00:06 PM9/17/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com
On 17/09/2022 15:36, 'Jay LaBonte' via Pick and MultiValue Databases wrote:
> I have most of the installs back to UD 6.1 but I need 5.2 for this project.
>
> I don’t thing the upgrade will be an issue, but I still have to do a
> proof of completion concept.

Get them to do a disaster recovery onto a new - in house - machine,
upgrade to 6.1 and test, and then you're sort of good. You know you can
roll back a disaster, and you can upgrade to a version you can support :-)

Why don't they have any install media? I know I know, someone will have
had a clear-out and said "who needs this ancient CD?".

I've *probably* got UV back to 9.6, but that'll need digging through my
"treasure trove" of old CDs dumped in the garage ...

Cheers,
Wol

Jay LaBonte

Oct 3, 2022, 8:09:16 PM10/3/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com

I’m happy to say that I found a copy of UniData 5.2 for Windows.

Regards,

Jay LaBonte

Jay LaBonte

Oct 3, 2022, 8:10:32 PM10/3/22
to mvd...@googlegroups.com

Does anyone have and benchmarking software that will simulate a load on a UniData system?

Regards,

Jay LaBonte

James A

Oct 3, 2022, 9:00:51 PM10/3/22
to Pick and MultiValue Databases
We use jmeter; but of course you'll need an external API to hit that exercises your system. Though even if you don't have one now, building one might be no harder (and long-term more useful?) than re-inventing the wheel for performance testing (and particularly if you could use the more sophisticated options like distributed testing): https://jmeter.apache.org/usermanual/jmeter_distributed_testing_step_by_step.html