Chapter 4 ready for review

1 view

Eric Hexter

Jan 13, 2010, 10:28:45 AM1/13/10
to mvc2inacti...@googlegroups.com

Chapter 4 is now ready for open review.  It is attached to this message and is also available at http://github.com/jeffreypalermo/mvc2inaction/tree/master/manuscript/Chapter04

Thanks,
Eric

MVC2iA_CH_04.docx

Darek Tarczynski

Jan 13, 2010, 5:00:21 PM1/13/10
to mvc2inaction-discuss
Hi all.
Below my commets:

At the begining i think there to many repeatly "Controler(s)" word
IMHO.
4.3: The controller uses the Model Binder feature resolve values from
form posts => Should be "to resolve"?
4.3: Listing 4.4 demonstrates how an action method that accepts a
complex type as a parameter. => Don't understand author :-(
4.3.2: If a view is rendered directly from a form post than the user
may attempt to refresh the browser or bookmark the page. => Don't
understand, You forgot something to end the sententce?
4.4: . Unit tests run fast because => I thing that "well written Unit
tests run fast"
4.4: xUnit are also available, but they are not as widely adopted as
NUnit or MbUnit => Dont agree: regardling to xUnit IMHO

On 13 Sty, 16:28, Eric Hexter <eric.hex...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Chapter 4 is now ready for open review.  It is attached to this message and

> is also available athttp://github.com/jeffreypalermo/mvc2inaction/tree/master/manuscript/...
>
> Thanks,
> Eric
>
>  MVC2iA_CH_04.docx
> 477KZobaczPobierz

Eric Hexter

Jan 13, 2010, 5:18:52 PM1/13/10
to mvc2inacti...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback.. it is much appriciaited.  I will look through the comments and revise.

Thanks,
Eric

--
--------------------
Please feel free to comment on the progress of the book, the content, and the code samples.  All code and text is available on the book's GitHub site at http://github.com/jeffreypalermo/mvc2inaction.  We hope developing this book out in the open and with your feedback makes it a great book for the community.

Joe Wilson

Jan 16, 2010, 9:34:09 PM1/16/10
to mvc2inacti...@googlegroups.com

·         Page 2 – Consider breaking this into more than one sentence: “Parameters are resolved into the action method by the model binders, by using this automatic binding to complex types action methods can focus on the concerns of controlling the application logic rather than spending time: translating input from the browser into input models or mapping domain models into presentation models.”

·         Page 2 – “An well written…” should be “A well written…”

·         Page 2- “…implements an applications storyboard.” should be “…implements an application’s storyboard.” (with the apostrophe)

·         Page 3 – “This alternate path could included..” should be “This alternate path could include…”

·         Page 3 – Consider rephrasing “By focusing on implementing storyboard of the application in the controllers action, there are some great side effects.” as “Implementing a storyboard for the application controller actions has some great side effects.”

·         Page 3 – extra space after parentheses in “…happy path ( a…”

·         Page 3 – I like the storyboarding section!  You might mention tools, like Balsamic and SketchFlow.

·         Page 4 – I’ve heard “happy path” more often in the context of testing that the user gets the expected outcome from the application.  So in the login example, the happy path is successfully logging in.  But it sounds like your using it as another way to say convention over configuration.  I found this also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_path.

·         Page 4 – “…is to simple do the…” should be “…is to simply do the…”

·         Page 5 – Looks like maybe a copy/paste problem with this sentence “Accepting input from a web browser into an action can happen through a Accepting input from a web browser into an action.”

·         Page 5 – “The controller uses the Model Binder feature resolve  values from form posts and query string and turn them into .Net object that match the named of parameters of an Action.” should be “The controller uses the Model Binder feature to resolve  values from form posts and query strings and turn them into .Net objects that match the named parameters of an Action.”

·         Page 5 – “…perform it's work…” should be “…perform its work…”

·         Page 5 – I like the statement that Actions should not be touching the Request object.  This could maybe be called out as a tip/rule of thumb?

·         Page 6 - “…demonstrates how an action method…” should be “…demonstrates an action method…”

·         Page 6 – “…convert the form values to match the form values…” I think you mean “…convert the request values to match the action parameters…”

·         Page 6 – “…is taken care by…” should be “…is taken care of by…”

·         Page 6 – “…the applications storyboard…” should be “…the application’s storyboard…”

·         Page 7 – “…between to consecutive…” should be “…between two consecutive…”

·         Page 9 – “…a Error Message…” should be “…an Error Message…”

·         Page 9 – “In listing 4.6 , The alternate…” should be “In listing 4.6, the alternate…”

·         Page 9 – You’re calling it Input Model and InputModel, but earlier you called it view model.  I would just go with whatever is being used the most in the book.

·         Page 9 – “…ModelState is sent the view…” should be “…ModelState is sent to the view…”

·         Page 11 – “In listing 3.5” I think you mean 4.7

·         Page 17 – Consider adding in the note that unit tests should be able to run in any sequence, should not depend on values in the DB, should not talk to the live DB, etc.

·         Page 17 – “This leave the action…” should be “This leave the action…”

·         Page 17 – “…an applications storyboard.” should be “…an application’s storyboard.” (with the apostrophe)

·         Page 17 – “…controllers have the potential because of becoming..” should be “…controllers have the potential of becoming…”

I was not sure what all the “queue balls” and “cueball” references were in the text.

I hope I don’t sound like an English teacher.  I always hated my English teachers. :D

Joe Wilson, President and CEO

Office: 303-532-5838, ext 101

Cell: 512-293-9009

Web: http://VolareSystems.com

Logo_125px_High

Eric Hexter

Jan 16, 2010, 9:47:26 PM1/16/10
to mvc2inacti...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this, I really appreciate it.  As you can probably tell, I have been doing most of this work late at night. I do appreciate it, big time!

Thanks,
Eric

image001.png

Thanh Dao

Jan 24, 2010, 9:29:52 AM1/24/10
to mvc2inaction-discuss
Hi Eric,

* Page 6 - "querystring" should be "query string".
* Page 8 - "...a form post than the user may..." should be "...a form
post then the user may...".
* All over the chapter - I believe "url" has to be in uppercase
("URL").

Regards,
Thanh

On Jan 13, 4:28 pm, Eric Hexter <eric.hex...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Chapter 4 is now ready for open review.  It is attached to this message and

> is also available athttp://github.com/jeffreypalermo/mvc2inaction/tree/master/manuscript/...
>
> Thanks,
> Eric
>
>  MVC2iA_CH_04.docx