Hey I'm interested in contributing!

jjan...@georgefox.edu

Jan 29, 2016, 12:14:49 AM1/29/16
to mutability-detector
Hello all,
I'm a fairly new programmer still I've only been taking courses for about a year now (mostly Java with a hint of C++, Python, Ruby, HTML/CSS stuff). I'm first and foremost curious if this is still an active on going community because it looks like no one has posted on here for almost a year.

Regardless I'm excited to find an open source project to practice working on!

Graham Allan

Jan 31, 2016, 4:47:08 PM1/31/16
to mutabilit...@googlegroups.com, jjan...@georgefox.edu
Hello!

I'm definitely still around and trying to help interested newcomers to contribute. You're right the mailing list has been quiet for a while, but there have been some very good contributions from newcomers recently, and more are welcome!

Are you interested in any particular area to contribute to, or are you looking to get some open source experience?

Thanks for getting in touch!
Graham

Graham Allan

Feb 2, 2016, 4:50:24 PM2/2/16
to Justin Janes, mutabilit...@googlegroups.com
(I've included the google group mailing list, so that someone like yourself coming along later sees that it's active :) )

A prerequisite for contributing to Mutability Detector, and probably many other open source projects you may be interested in, is to have a GitHub account. I think a good first step is to check out the source code, and find something trivial to modify to issue as a pull request. This will mean you'll have to go through all the steps of getting a GitHub account, cloning a repository, pushing a change to your own repo, and then creating a pull request. That workflow is good to practice as that's how most contributions happen.

Once we've got over that initial hurdle, let's talk about fixing a bug or adding a feature.

Does that sound okay Justin? If you are stuck on anything you can post here and I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible.

On 31 January 2016 at 23:11, Justin Janes <jjan...@georgefox.edu> wrote:
Hey Graham,

So my experience is still a bit limited with VCSs but I'm hoping to get some experience with that, experience with open source contributions, and work on my self development. Whatever is best for a newbie to do I would like to give a try.

Justin