newbie interested in joining project ;)

Krzysiek Derezinski

Sep 19, 2014, 2:54:07 AM9/19/14
to mutabilit...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

I’ve encountered to this blog: http://mutability-detector.blogspot.com.au/ by searching on phrase in google:

“which open source project should join as a beginner java developer” :D

And the brilliant article:  http://mutability-detector.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/meet-project-opportunity-to-join-open.html touched my heart :)

I can just hope – that it is still true and the author of this article is still looking for a  newbies J

Ok little bit of myself:

Currently I am 33 years old, a have finished  Uni: Computer Science in Poland in 2007. Have been working in Poland as a PLM Consultant – mainly as a QA  Manual testing & configuration manager: deploying main app and 3 party apps on Unix , running and maintaining ksh scripts.

4 years ago I moved to Australia / Sydney and I am working here again as a QA (mainly Manual testing & running Automated test).

This work has started to be boring for me with any challenges at all…

I’ve been learning c++ at my Uni, Java appears many time in my life J  For one year (of course with small breaks) I am refreshing my Java Knowledge by doing this tutorial http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/  I am up to http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/essential/io/index.html which does not mean I don’t have any idea about Collections and Threads J

I am doing some small projects for my self like UI based (Swing) app for chatting or back-up app (using NIO2 feature)

I want to join to your project on purpose. Firstly, I think I am at that point that I need to contribute to some real project ( learn good practise by  analysing someone else’s code + trying to involve in coding for a real project.). Secondly, I want to gain experience and be able to go thru with job interviewers for junior java dev job. Thirdly, I like your style and want to help with project

Hope to hear from you.

Regards,

Krzysiek

d.krzy...@gmail.com

Graham Allan

Sep 19, 2014, 10:10:11 AM9/19/14
to mutabilit...@googlegroups.com, d.krzy...@gmail.com
Hello Krzysiek,

The offer's still open! Great to hear from you.

It looks like your progress in the Java tutorials are just coming up to a relevant point: the next chapter after IO is concurrency, which has a very relevant chapter on immutable objects: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/essential/concurrency/immutable.html

What I've tried to do with other people looking to contribute is to start with small steps instead of just saying "fix issue #42". There's a few things that can be barriers to getting involved outside of Java the language. For instance there's getting familiar with git and GitHub for version control, Maven as a build tool, unit testing as a practice, etc.

Here's what I propose as the first steps to get started:
 - continue with the Java tutorials, until you've covered immutable objects
 - pretend like you're a user of Mutability Detector, use it as a library in a few unit tests that you've created (you can create your own project to do so, or reuse this: https://github.com/MutabilityDetector/ClientOfMutabilityDetector ). Create some classes of your own and test them for immutability, see if you can understand which cases will cause it to fail the test and which won't.
 - get a feel for how Mutability Detector relates to the Java tutorial, particularly the "Strategy for Defining Immutable Objects"
 - come back to the mailing list and suggest at least one improvement. Could be for Mutability Detector's functionality, documentation... I know how effective you QA folks can be at finding opportunities for improvement ;-)

This should cover:
 - figuring out how to create Java projects, or how to check them out from GitHub
 - discovering what the purpose of Mutability Detector is
 - getting familiar with what it's like to use Mutability Detector

Also, I think it's very important that you feel free to ask questions about any of this at any point. The timezones might make it take a bit longer to have the back and forth, if you're on AEST, that puts us at 10 or 11 hours apart, but I'm sure we can get by.

What do you think?

All the best,
Graham