Help needed for 0.9 Release of Mutability Detector

Graham Allan

Dec 16, 2012, 2:48:10 PM12/16/12
to mutabilit...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

It's getting close to the point where I want to release v0.9. Before I
do that I want to use the "release candidate" model where I make a
pre-release build available and get some feedback from users/devs.

There are some (hopefully) major improvements that need some test driving:

* Mutability Detector now has support for recognising the idiom of
"Collections.unmodifiableXXX(...)", checking that lists are safely
copied before being wrapped and assigned to a field.
* For those affected by The String Problem, you should be glad to
hear that the latest version now hard codes String as immutable (along
with a limited number of other immutable JDK types). This is
configurable, and you can add your own hard coded results, from your
own classes to those in 3rd party libraries.
* There are more Allowed Reasons for helping you deal with false positives.
* There's significantly more documentation around user-facing classes.

If you are a user of Mutability Detector, could you please try the
latest builds to make sure there are no regressions. If you can spare
the time, please try out some of the new features and see if they work
for you as you would expect, and that documentation is sufficient.

There will likely be some flux in documentation and moving/renaming of
classes over the next couple of days. If all goes well (or if I'm met
with a deafening silence) I'll likely push out a release in the next
few days.

Feedback of any kind is welcome. Please direct it either to the
mailing list, or as issues on GitHub.

Thanks, Graham

-----------------------------------

To get the latest version, you can either:

- add the Sonatype snapshots repository, put this snippet in your pom.xml

<project>
<repositories>
<repository>
<id>Sonatype Snapshots</id>
<url>http://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots</url>
</repository>
</repositories>
</project>

And for Mutability Detector, change the coordinates to:

<dependency>
<groupId>org.mutabilitydetector</groupId>
<artifactId>MutabilityDetector</artifactId>
<version>0.9-SNAPSHOT</version>
<scope>test</scope>
</dependency>

(sorry I don't know the equivalent for other build systems)

- or grab the jars directly, the jars are available from here:
https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/mutabilitydetector/MutabilityDetector/0.9-SNAPSHOT/MutabilityDetector-0.9-20121216.192029-4.jar
and the source from here:
https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/mutabilitydetector/MutabilityDetector/0.9-SNAPSHOT/MutabilityDetector-0.9-20121216.192029-4-sources.jar

(I've attached them to this message for convenience).