Interested in contributing to Mutability Detector

Sachith Dassanayake

Sep 16, 2013, 5:46:48 PM9/16/13
to mutabilit...@googlegroups.com
Hi ,

I have came across your blog while searching for an open source project. I am a recent graduate and a member of LJC Interested in contributing to an open source project to get more exposure to Java and to improve my java skills.

Could you please let me know how I can go about it and mean while I'll follow the instructions on
http://mutability-detector.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/meet-project-opportunity-to-join-open.html

Many Thanks

Kind Regards
Sachith

Graham Allan

Sep 17, 2013, 7:29:10 AM9/17/13
to mutabilit...@googlegroups.com
Your message is exactly how you should get started :-)

As mentioned in the blog post, even just the purpose of the library is beyond beginner Java level. Are you already familiar with the technique of using immutable objects? E.g. what it's good for, what the trade-offs are, etc? It will help when contributing if you understand the concepts, and see how Mutability Detector 'fits in'. If you don't know that's fine, we can discuss here, and you can feel free to ask questions. Also, how familiar are you with test driven development (TDD) and continuous integration (CI)? That will also be helpful to understand.

So, first step is to give an understanding of why immutability is a useful technique. Do you know why it's useful?

Best regards,
Graham A

(P.S. very pleased you're interested!)

Sachith Dassanayake