I like to contribute

SHAHIN ANSARI

Mar 12, 2020, 6:26:35 PM3/12/20
to mutabilit...@googlegroups.com

Greetings

I found out about this project when I was searching online to learn more about immutability. I forked, cloned, and built your code with IntelliJ idea and maven, but the project I wanted to use it in did not work until I downloaded the jar file and added it as a library. I am struggling a bit with how to interpret what I am getting from the test when I click on the hyperlink, I see part of the file which says decompiled.class file. I am going to read the remaining links you provided and review my own code which is from an online Algorithms course, and the test just says that my object changes after they issue my code's methods a number of times and it should be consistent. I did build client tests for it myself or I should say I tried and my tests pass, but not the tests the grader runs. I hope to be able to reproduce the error with your code and look forward to and want to contribute to this project. Would you please let me know what is next?

Regards-

Shahin

Graham Allan

Mar 15, 2020, 6:55:57 PM3/15/20
to mutability-detector
Hello Shahin,

It sounds from your description that your project doesn't pull in sources automatically. A build tool like maven/Gradle/etc can do that for you, but if your project doesn't use that you'd have to download and attach sources directly. Just s like you downloaded the jar with code, you can get one with sources and configure IntelliJ to use it.

As for how to write a test to reproduce your course's requirements, I'd probably only be able to help if you provide some source code, what you've tried already, etc. If you paste some code online in this chat I might be able to provide guidance.

For what would be a good starting point to contributing to the project, check out some tickets that are tagged as "newcomer" and "up-for-grabs". These are issues I've designated as best suited for a fresh contributor: https://github.com/MutabilityDetector/MutabilityDetector/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Aup-for-grabs+label%3Anewcomer

Looking forward to hearing more,
Graham