An "Announcement Only" Group for Class of 1971

1 view

Chip Chapin

May 13, 2011, 5:54:33 PM5/13/11
to mustangs7...@googlegroups.com
Hey Classmates,

Thanks for getting the ball rolling on some reunion planning, especially John who was finally able to pull my attention away from work long enough to help a little.

Why have separate "announce" and "discuss" groups?

Short answer: add everyone's address to the Announce group as we get them, but only "invite" them to the Discuss group.

Long answer:
When we did the reunion in 2001 we used "list server" from a service called Topica and I soon realized that some of our classmates like to chat, while others only want to hear official announcements.  The internet world has actually been dealing with this problem for nearly 30 years, and the most common way is to create two separate lists.  Subscribe to the "discuss" group if you don't mind chit chat, but otherwise just subscribe to the "announce" group

Furthermore I found that some classmates actually didn't want their email addresses shown to other classmates. The "announce" group keeps all email addresses private (except whoever is posting, which could also be private if we wanted) -- only a group manager can see them all.

I started to set the "discuss" group so that any member could see the list of other members, but then I changed it to the more private setting.  We can change it any time, but it seemed better to start with more caution.