Import exs files into Musk Midi Keyboard

White

Sep 12, 2020, 6:08:11 AM9/12/20
to Musk User Group
Hi

I'm trying to import an exs file into Musk Midi Keyboard.

3A47302E-E4F2-4534-A166-0C41D255D239.png

After selecting Solo Violin.exs no matter which program I choose, I only hear the same strange synth sound.

Am I importing it in a wrong way or do I need to setup something else?

Joerg Garbers

Sep 14, 2020, 4:15:03 AM9/14/20
to Musk User Group
Hi,
thanks for asking!

The app uses an Apple-provided class (AUSampler) for loading sound files.
EXS files come in two parts: the exs file and the individual samples (referenced by absolute path).
Because these absolute paths don't work on iOS, to find the samples, AUSampler searches for the samples in some standard directories (one of them the documents directory).

The problem is, this requires the absolute path to contain a "Sampler Files" or " EXS Factory Samples" path component.
The other problem is that a failure of loading the samples  just shows up as a warning message in the system log. The app does not know about it and cannot tell the user.

I have downloaded the solo violin instrument from the internet to check what went wrong. This is the error message that I got:
SampleManager.cpp:440:AddSample: Failed to locate sample 'C%20(G%20String)%20Hard.aif -- file:///Users/macmini/Desktop/Solo%20Violin/'.
So the absolute path references to the samples don't conform to the rules.

As I see from your second question, you are interested in playing the samples from the audio unit extension.
This might not be possible at all, because the audio unit extension does not have access to the directories under TN2283 "Referencing External Audio Files",
except for the bundle directory, which cannot be used for storing user files.

Sorry!

Jörg