Tracks and Channels

Andy

Mar 6, 2015, 7:13:52 AM3/6/15
to musk-us...@googlegroups.com
Hi - I've recently bought this app and it seems very good. By trial and error I am getting to grips with its features - but one or two are evading me.

What is the function of the Channels :> Tracks option?
What is the function of the enable buttons in the instrument listings?

Thanks (I expect other questions may eventually follow!)

Joerg Garbers

Mar 8, 2015, 2:49:05 PM3/8/15
to musk-us...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andy,

You can filter notes either by track (mute/solo) or by channel (enable) or by both means.
Often midi files are already such that each track only contains events of one channel. But that need not be the case.
There may be for example different drum sounds on different tracks, but typically all drum sounds are on channel 10.
To filter out all drum sounds, you can disable channel 10. Note that this setting is saved and is effective for the next file that you load.
Channels -> Tracks takes effect when loading a new MIDI file. Then, the track layout of the file is ignored and for each channel that occurs in the file, one track is created.
Then, you can also use the track UI to mute/solo by channel. However, notes that are merged into the same track can cancel out each other.

Please rate the app on the app store, if you like it :-)

Jörg