JOB: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Lecturer in World Musics (part-time)

AMS

May 12, 2022, 12:31:18 PM5/12/22
to Ams-an...@listserv.unl.edu
LECTURER IN WORLD MUSICS

Posting Information
The Department of Music at UNC-Chapel Hill offers a BM and BA in Music Performance and an MA and Ph.D. in Musicology for undergraduate and graduate students. Our mission is to educate performance and musicology majors and to provide general music courses for non-major students. We serve the public by presenting performances by students, faculty, and guest artists. We offer over one hundred concerts and recitals each year. We have a newly-renovated, state-of-the-art auditorium which includes recording (audio and video) as well as an improved lighting and sound system. We have a total of 60 full- and part-time faculty who teach approximately 2500 students during the academic year and another 200 during Summer School. Through our teaching, research, and creativity we share music’s multiplicity of forms and meanings, connecting the study of music to the larger understanding of societies, and affirming music’s importance as an expression of humanity.

This is a part time position to teach an undergraduate Introduction to World Music course (MUSC 146.001) during fall 2022 semester. The course meets Mondays and Wednesdays from 2:30p to 3:20p. Recitation sections are taught by graduate teaching assistants. This is a large enrollment course that includes two graduate teaching assistants. The option exists to either use curriculum used recently or develop a new curriculum. The instructor is required to provide a syllabus whether or not they use their own curriculum. This is a 3 credit hour course that includes in classroom instruction and recitations, as well as office hours. The instructor is responsible for supervising two graduate teaching assistants. Responsibilities include weekly meetings with these assistants and coordinating the curriculum that is taught in their recitations.

Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Minimum education of an MA in ethnomusicology or musicology is required. PhD preferred.

Preferred Qualifications, Competencies, and Experience
At least two years of teaching experience as an instructor of record at the university level. Experience supervising graduate teaching assistants.

Required Documents
1. Curriculum Vitae / Resume
2. Cover Letter
3. List of References