CFP (compositions): SEM Orchestra, SEM Annual Meeting, Ottawa, 19-22 Oct 2023

AMS

Mar 1, 2023, 9:00:49 AM3/1/23
to Ams-an...@listserv.unl.edu
The SEM Orchestra (SEM-O) would like to invite interested participants to submit compositions for consideration in this year’s concert, which will be held at the SEM 68th Annual Meeting in Ottawa, October 19-22, 2023.

The SEM-O, the Society for Ethnomusicology's first official performing group, is an all-volunteer ensemble composed of SEM members performing on instruments of their choosing. Since its inception, the SEM Orchestra has been organizing concerts that function to highlight the musical life of the Society by showcasing the compositional work and musicianship of its members. For more information about SEM-O and past performances, click here: https://semorchestra.wixsite.com/sem-o/projects.

Criteria for compositions include:
-Open (global) instrumentation for sound-producing devices (whether acoustic, electric, or recorded media)
-Relatively easy to learn and perform and/or improvisation-based
-Up to 7’ minutes in length

For full consideration, please submit either a finished work or a description of your composition to SEMorchestra-at-gmail.com by Monday, April 24, 2023. Final submissions will be due at a later date in June. Anyone is welcome to send a submission for consideration even if you are unable to attend this year’s conference as long as you are able and willing to meet by Zoom ahead of time.

Submissions for compositions can be in the form of musical scores, graphic scores, texts, recorded media, or digital audio files (with the inclusion of separate files for each instrumental part for learning purposes). Video art submissions are also welcome. You may send more than one composition for consideration. For further questions and/or more information contact SEMorchestra-at-gmail.com.

Best,

Co-Directors:
Michael Frishkopf (michaelf-at-ualberta.ca)
Katelyn Best (katelyn.best-at-mail.wvu.edu)
Scott Currie (scurrie-at-umn.edu)

For more information about SEM-O: https://semorchestra.wixsite.com/sem-o
Click here for more ways to get involved: https://semorchestra.wixsite.com/sem-o/ways-to-get-involved
Join our Listserv by signing up for our newsletter on our website or by contacting us directly at SEMorchestra -at -gmail.com
Participate in the SEM-O community by posting to our website and joining our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SEMorchestra/