CFP: Gabriel Fauré 1924/2024, Univ. of Colorado, Boulder, 27 Feb-3 Mar 2024

AMS

Jan 11, 2023, 12:15:38 PM1/11/23
to Ams-an...@listserv.unl.edu
We are pleased to announce a call for papers for Fauré 2024, a centennial celebration of the international legacy of Gabriel Fauré (1845–1924). The organizers are Carlo Caballero (University of Colorado) and Stephen Rumph (University of Washington). The festival will take place in person, on the campus of the University of Colorado and in the city of Boulder, between 27 February and 3 March 2024. Events will include: performances of five newly commissioned works by American composers; Fauré’s Requiem featuring the Colorado Pro Musica orchestra; faculty and student recitals; and a conference of scholarly papers. The conference portion of the Festival will span 1 March (Friday) to 3 March (Sunday).

Particular areas where the organizers would be pleased to see contributions to this conference include:

Ravel and Fauré
Biographical mysteries
Fauré’s music in Africa, Asia, and Latin America
The Requiem, Op. 48, and sacred music
Fauré and popular music

This list, of course, is non-exclusive.

Papers will be twenty minutes long with an additional ten minutes allotted for questions and discussion. English will be the official language of the conference.
We invite interested participants to submit proposals as follows: first, in the E-mail message, include your name, affiliation or location, and a short bibliography of any previous work you have done in the field addressed by your paper; second, to this same message attach a PDF of an abstract of the paper and its conclusions (maximum 350 words), without personally identifying yourself. Please submit the E-mail with attached abstract by 31 May 2023 to Jessica.Quah -at- colorado.edu.

We wish to alert attendees and potential speakers to a second Fauré conference in Paris that will take place about six months later, in autumn 2024, under the direction of French and Canadian scholars. The organizers consider overlap between these conferences acceptable.