CONF: UConn Graduate Music Conference, Virtual, 14 May 2022

AMS

May 12, 2022, 11:46:10 AM5/12/22
to Ams-an...@listserv.unl.edu
We are excited to announce that the third-annual UConn Graduate Music Conference, hosted by the graduate students at the University of Connecticut, will take place this Saturday, May 14, 2022. This conference features presentations by graduate students across the country. Our keynote speaker will be Dr. Anabel Maler of the University of Iowa. The following is the keynote abstract:

For Western music theory, which is so practiced at engaging with sound, songs created in signed languages (such as American Sign Language) pose considerable challenges to our assumptions about the definition of music. If music can exist without sound, then what is music? In answering this question, my talk places sign language music, and specifically deaf music, at the center of music-theoretical inquiry. In centering signed music, I engage with the following questions: what makes sign language music musical? What parameters of sign language music are available for analysts to discuss and interpret? How do these parameters interact to form a meaningful musical experience? And what can sign language music tell us about how Deaf and hearing people understand the musical aspects of physical gestures? My talk addresses these questions through analyzing voice, rhythm, and melody in a variety of pieces of signed music, and through a detailed case study of Rosa Lee Timm’s “River Song.”

Please find the full program for the conference on our website.

The event is free and open to all who would like to attend! No registration is necessary. This is the Zoom link for the event:
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/87400936217?pwd=SkEzdkhtc0hxM1FISkNDdGhyTk1PZz09
The Zoom meeting password is: uconn

Should you have any questions about the conference, please do not hesitate to contact us (uconn.gmc -at- gmail.com) or visit our website for more information (https://uconngmc.wixsite.com/mysite).

We hope to see you there!