CFP: Global Interculturalism and Post-1945 Interest Groups, Society for Music Theory Annual Meeting, Jacksonville, 7-10 Nov 2024

AMS Office

Jul 18, 2024, 10:46:58 AM (5 days ago) Jul 18

For this year’s meeting at SMT in Jacksonville, the Global Interculturalism and Musical Peripheries Interest Group and Post-1945 Music Analysis Interest Group invite submission of abstracts for lightning talks that interest both groups? memberships. We will be holding a joint session for our interest groups, featuring talks on modernist, experimental and avant-garde musics that reflect intercultural influences beyond the Western canon.

Proposals should be up to 250 words, and may be supplemented by up to 1 page of optional examples. We expect papers to be approximately 10-15 minutes in length. Please submit your proposal via this Google Form

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeFOJlIbvECUlmpwIOarPQXTWzPj0vsXkCPW5IWBy8mTYxIxg/viewform

By July 31, indicating your preference of in-person or virtual presentation. We will notify authors of our decisions no later than August 31.

Topics for papers might include, but are not limited to:
- LGBTQ musicians from underrepresented regions
- Gender issues in recent musics
- Musics inspired by migration
- Musicians who have migrated across cultures
- Incorporation of global repertoire into post-tonal theory courses

Organizers: Noah Kahrs, Gui Hwan Lee, Ji Yeon Lee, and Desirée Mayr