Publishing copyrighed works

Antoon Dekker

Dec 12, 2021, 12:27:17 PM12/12/21
to The Music Notation Project | Forum
Hi there,

Lately I discovered that it is very easy to publish copyrighted works completely legally and even get payed for it. I think this is a game changer for Klavarskribo, because their user group has been too small to buy licenses for modern music, because publishers assume very high sell quantities. But the world changed; nowadays licenses can be bought per piece, because no print is required anymore. This also happened in the movie industry.
Hal Leonard presents a list of works that may be arranged and a transcription to another notation is considered to be an arrangement.
You go to to ArrangeMe.com, search for a song to be arranged (transcribed). Then you upload a transcription of this work in your AN. Hal Leonard will upload this transcription to SheetMusicPlus.com or SheetMusicDirect.com This is a webshop for music of Hal Leonard. The minimum price for a copyrighted song at this site is 5 dollar, and you (the arranger get 10% of it when it accumulated over 20 dollar).

I transcribed three works in Klavarskribo of Yann Tiersen. You can find them using the search word "KVN" (Klavar Vereniging Nederland). There are already more than thousand non copyrighted works on paper which you may find with search word "klavarskribo". Finally you may find some non copyrighted work on digital with the search word "Klavarscore" which also supports scrolling music for smart phones and tables.

I know Klavarskribo is not considered being a notation according the rules of MNP, -personally I see it as a partiture- but I suppose there are sufficient members how are interested to know that the KVN has edited a full piano course for piano in Klavarskribo for free in the English language, see klavarskribo.eu.

Best regard,
Antoon

Iv

Dec 12, 2021, 1:04:36 PM12/12/21
to The Music Notation Project | Forum

I know Klavarskribo is not considered being a notation according the rules of MNP, -personally I see it as a partiture- but I suppose there are sufficient members how are interested to know that the KVN has edited a full piano course for piano in Klavarskribo for free in the English language, see klavarskribo.eu.

Best regard,
Antoon

I had no idea MNP rules would exclude Klavarskribo. Seems a bit dismissive.
But considering that the criteria for new music notations of MNP is contradictory... then, who cares.
MNP is not the Holy Inquisition or... is it?
I would love to see some music written in Klavirskribo on .pdf or why not even as an computer application, similar to Finale, MuseScore, Overture, etc..

Antoon Dekker

Dec 12, 2021, 1:08:10 PM12/12/21
to The Music Notation Project | Forum
Klavarskribo aka Klavar has a music editor named klavarscript. See https://klavar.com/en/

Iv

Dec 12, 2021, 1:09:22 PM12/12/21
to The Music Notation Project | Forum
Oh, sorry found some examples...
Not my thing really, seems a bit over-crowded even more so than the standard notation:

asd.jpg

John F

Dec 17, 2021, 6:34:50 AM12/17/21
to The Music Notation Project | Forum
Antoon,
Thanks, that's very interesting. Do you know - is it legal to transcribe any piece of music into a different notation, or has Hal Leonard specifically chosen those pieces whose copyright owners have allowed that? Also, how much experience of Klavarskribo do you have and are you involved in the community? I'm guessing you're Dutch?...and the Netherlands seems to be where interest in the notation is strongest.
Cheers,
John

Antoon Dekker

Dec 20, 2021, 8:24:18 AM12/20/21
to The Music Notation Project | Forum
Hi John,
On the website ArrangeMe.com you find a selection of works that are free for arrangements and that are the only works that you may use. But there are many works! You may also publish your own works and non copyrighted works, but I have no experience with that.
I play Klavarskribo for more than 50 years and I was the secretary of the "klavar vereniging nederland" (200 members) for some years, https://www.klavarvereniging.nl
There are many organists in the Netherlands that use Klavarskribo in churches.
For pianists there was often the burden of the copyrights. The ArrangeMe method gives klavar a way to publish popular music.
Best regards,
Antoon

Antoon Dekker

Jun 27, 2022, 2:47:43 AM6/27/22
to The Music Notation Project | Forum
I have to temper expectation for this option of transcriptions from the ArrangeMe list. On the list there are mainly works that are not available on sheet music and if you may find sheet music of any of these works, it mostly is already an arrangement and that arrangement has its own author rights for which you need also permission of the arranger.
But it is tolerated to make your own transcriptions in the notation you want from the original work. There are programs that converts recorded music into music notes ( audio2score of Capella for example) which may help you for this option. I admit that I don't have experience yet with this program.