Attention MNP: Contradicting criteria for Music Notations

adXok

Dec 12, 2021, 11:38:26 AM12/12/21
to The Music Notation Project | Forum
I write this to point out an observation I think needs more clarification, regarding the Criteria on musicnotation.org.
I think there is a contradiction between two of your Criteria, namely Criteria 2 and Criteria 10.

*** Attention: Contradicting criteria ***
Criteria 2
The notation can be written conveniently and quickly with nothing more than a writing tool (such as a pencil) without the absolute necessity of a ruler or other drawing aids or specially prepared paper.
Criteria 10
No more than five identical, successive, and equidistant staff lines are shown, so that staff lines can be quickly identified without counting lines.
*** Attention: Contradicting criteria ***

If there are going to be lines drawn (as on a staff), this usually requires a ruler (to draw the straight lines of the staff) or more likely (always actually nowadays) a specially prepared paper with the engraved staff lines on the blank sheet or the corresponding pre-rendered staff on a computer screen.

Thus, my PMN (Plain Music Notation system contradicts with 'Criteria 8 (regarding vertical representation of intervals as space)' and 'Criteria 10'.

Criteria 8 is a limitation, consider the following:
number-heads-melody.jpg

My PMN uses rows, which host every renova (known as "octave") cluster of 12 notes (for 12-TET that is). Very similar to how TAB notation works, but if you think that every "string" in the TAB is tuned in "octaves" (renovas).
Message has been deleted

Pashkuli

Dec 14, 2021, 5:09:56 PM12/14/21
to The Music Notation Project | Forum
It is obvious that 'Criteria 2' is not satisfied by 100% of the lined notations (probably all of them in MNP website!), so it should be dismissed.
I wrote a message to the group a few years back and on the corresponding Facebook page of the group.