Where to find the MNMA publications

Daniel Simu

Feb 10, 2022, 8:48:57 AM2/10/22
to The Music Notation Project | Forum
Hi everyone,

I am amazed to see such an active community here, that's really great!

My name is Daniel and I am doing research on juggling notation. To get a broader understanding of (creative) notation systems I am of course also diving into music, which is how I ended here. If you're interested, you can have a look at my progress here: https://danielsimu.nl/research/ . You will also find contact details there, should you have any insights you wish to share :)

I would be very happy to be able to have a look at the publications of the MNMA ( http://musicnotation.org/mnma/publications/ ), in particular:
  • Music Notation Evaluation Procedure
  • Directory of Music Notation Proposals
It appears to me they are no longer being sold. Does anyone know how I could get hold of it's contents? Is there a digitised version that I could have a look at?

Thanks so much in advance!

Daniel

Daniel Simu

Feb 14, 2022, 4:24:33 AM2/14/22
to The Music Notation Project | Forum
I don't know who checks the in...@musicnotation.org email address, but I just thought I'd post here that an email I sent there (about the same topic as above) bounced back after 5 days, connection timed out according to my email server (very odd, right?).

Daniel

John Keller

Feb 14, 2022, 8:15:17 AM2/14/22
to musicn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

The summary of evaluation tests of alternative music notations done by MNMA in 1999-2000 is here:

As for a directory of the proposals, I think the best thing is to look at the entries in the MNP site musicnotation.org, which contains all the proposals that were tested plus more recent ones.

Your research on notating juggling patterns is interesting, not that I know anything about the topic!

Good luck!
John Keller

Daniel Simu

Feb 14, 2022, 3:23:54 PM2/14/22
to The Music Notation Project | Forum
Thanks John!

Yes, I've looked at the entries at musicnotation.org, I was hoping that there perhaps was more info for each notation? For example, rhythm is not discussed in any of the examples on the site, even though sometimes the description mentions that a certain system also had a unique way of describing rhythm.

Thanks anyway, also for looking at my work!

Daniel

Daniel Simu

Feb 14, 2022, 3:49:08 PM2/14/22
to The Music Notation Project | Forum
For those interested, I wrote about the things that I find interesting about various forms of music notation here. Feel free to respond here or email me!

Pashkuli Keyboard

Feb 15, 2022, 5:03:37 AM2/15/22
to The Music Notation Project | Forum
Hi, Daniel
Really nice work on your website with regards to the subject of Music and Music notation.
I already expressed my concerns about the contradicting criteria of Music Notation Modernization Association, which also rendered my PMN system incompatible with the requirements.
But that is not really important.
It is promising that you think, "one of the hindrances of introducing a new notation system is that there is not a lot of work produced in a new system compared to existing ones. This is however something that software could potentially solve...".
I am hoping for that as well. That is why I fairly recently started to learn JavaScript. I will attempt at making some web-app to suit my PMN system.
If you happen to know someone skilful in this JS endeavour, please, let me know!

It will be almost impossible to confront that 800 years old beast called "standard music notation". But it is not impossible!