RE: [MNP] Time Values in Alternative Notation

drtec...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2021, 10:47:16 PM8/6/21
to musicn...@googlegroups.com

John,

Forgive me for the delay in responding.

Let me remind everyone that I'm first of all a computer geek, and only a hobby musician.  I got into this trying to create my own scores for my own learning purposes. Of course there was a lot of commercial software available, but I found that most of it seemed more interested in enforcing rules of Traditional Notation than supporting alternatives to it.  And the more I had to pay for it, the harder it was to use!

I actually started out trying to create accompaniment tracks for learning choir parts,

then drifted in to creating scores for vocal and keyboard pieces.  It seemed that it would be easier to "program" scores with the pitches going across the page and time going down, Klavarskribo style. (This was back in the days when my "printer" was essentially a typewriter.)

My focus was not so much to make music easier to read or play but to make it easier to enter and edit with a computer--I wanted to make creating scores as easy as creating, say, a Word document.

I think it's debatable whether the best way to learn an aural art form is by reading marks on paper, rather than listening to music.

But given that we play from notation, that we teach students to play from notation, what is the best way to encode the music

so the student can most efficiently learn the instrument?  I think we'd agree that the notation should be "intuitive".  But this leads to a potential goal conflict: do we want the notation to closely match the instrument--the various keys or strings or frets or valves or whatever--

or closely match the music, that is, the patterns of sound?  Is it possible to reach a compromise?  Or perhaps we should be reforming the instruments (e.g. Janko keyboard, uniform tunings) along with the notation.

Of course, most of the instrumental idiosyncrasies have to do with pitch; the time dimension of music is largely independent of the instrument design or even the instrument itself.

When I speak of "poetry" and "form", I'm mainly thinking of patterns of stress or beats.  I think we "feel" these (sometimes literally, when the bass is booming) moreso than we "count" them. Indeed, we "march", even  "dance" to music, and if we are going to synchronize with a partner, or a band or orchestra, we must all be "marching to the same drummer."  So yes, there is room for interpretation, but ultimately, the person with the baton rules.

I've come to think of the time dimensions as "patterns of stress", where "stress" has two principal forms, duration and amplitude.

My sense is that, in music, the predominant "stress patterns"  are weak-STRONG rather than STRONG-weak, but this is contrary to the way we count beats, and separate music into measures, where we typically notate as if the pattern were STRONG-weak.

That is to say, I hear the musical "units" as typically separated right after strong before weak, but I see the notation (bars, beaming, etc.) as separated just before strong after weak.  "Lines" typically end on a beat (strong), often a sustained note held for the nominal count, or longer.  And there are recurring patterns of twos and threes and powers of two, to give the rhythm a hierarchic structure or form.

Now I've studied several popular piano methods but can't recall these concepts being discussed or taught.  But maybe that's just the misfortune of my particular experience.

In any case, the Traditional Notation timing notation is a software designer's nightmare--or challenging term project for a Computer Science student, depending on your point of view.  (I've given the details elsewhere.) Of course, musicians have been learning it with more or less success for centuries. But is there a better way?

BTW, I've been continuing to explore using computers to edit scores.  My latest experiment is using d3.js to convert a MIDI-type score array (pitch, time) into a scatter-plot "score".  There seems to be a lot of flexibility for staff lines patterns and notehead shapes.

Joe Austin