Piano Tablature

Music Lyceum

Feb 12, 2024, 9:40:24 AMFeb 12
to The Music Notation Project | Forum
I received a patent for my notation system. Those who use it are thriving and call it miraculous.

99.9% of guitarist have learned their instrument and every song through guitar tab. Now there is piano tab. I don't use key signatures because the name of each note is written out with the appropriate finger to use. I don't use time signatures because the duration of each note is demonstrated through it's width.

I take a lot of heat from traditionalist because they want everyone to learn the same way they did, but those who use it know how well it works. I can take any song in any style, any level of difficulty and translate it into a system that takes only two minutes to learn how to read.

Thomas Nguyen

Feb 13, 2024, 6:12:08 PMFeb 13
to musicn...@googlegroups.com
We share some common ground: (letter notes) https://www.new3jcn.com/example.html

Music Lyceum

Feb 13, 2024, 8:05:04 PMFeb 13
to The Music Notation Project | Forum
Piano tab is a great way to share the joy of playing piano with those who either don't want to read music or have tried and find it difficult. I'm glad you see the value. I receive a great deal of hatred on social media. The occasional positive comment is like a bright sun shining through a tumultuous storm.

Waller Dominique

Feb 15, 2024, 2:50:38 PMFeb 15
to musicn...@googlegroups.com

Hi Sean,

What kind of negative comments did you receive on the social media ? What were the arguments ? Just curious...

Dominique

envoyé : 14 février 2024 à 02:05
de : Music Lyceum <se...@themusiclyceum.com>
à : The Music Notation Project | Forum <musicn...@googlegroups.com>
objet : Re: [MNP] Piano Tablature

Sean Campbell

Feb 15, 2024, 3:08:43 PMFeb 15
to musicn...@googlegroups.com
Here’s a small sample.

image

On Feb 15, 2024, at 11:50 AM, Waller Dominique <d.wa...@orange.fr> wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "The Music Notation Project | Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/musicnotation/867563171.318022.1708026635902.JavaMail.open-xchange%40opme11oxm25aub.bagnolet.francetelecom.fr.

Sean Campbell

Feb 15, 2024, 3:11:21 PMFeb 15
to musicn...@googlegroups.com
This one just came in…….

That's a totally bs
musiclyceum's profile picture
@nelo.chef I assure you this is not bs or some type of scam. I’m one of the few that can deliver and make good on the claims I make. When you jump right into learning to play the piano rather than spending your time learning to read traditional sheet music by playing boring songs in a method book that no one wants to hear, one can become a great player and build a repertoire at a pace that was previously impossible.

Through my teaching method one who has never before touched a piano can, in their first 30 minute class, learn to name all 88 keys of the piano, play Beethoven's Ode To Joy with two hands and begin learning the first section of Für Elise. Whether it's a 5 year old child a senior citizen or a special needs/disabled student my system works.
peteyk61's profile picture
@musiclyceum
But truly, you’re not teaching your students the proper way to play piano. To become a true pianist. The way we had to through the Royal Conservatory, was hard work, learning theory until it makes you want to quit, lessons and practice for years. With all due respect, this is simply teaching people how to play a song. No reading of musical notes, time signatures, and so on.
Learning to play a musical instrument properly, involves hard work, years and hours of dedication.
If your method brings joy to people’s lives, then kudos to you and your students.
Again, after playing and gigging for over 50 years, piano and vocals, I personally teach the long, hard and traditional method. That’s what it takes to become a full rounded musician.
Just my opinion. Wishing you all the best.
musiclyceum's profile picture
Firstly, I would like to say thank you for sharing your opinion and the kind wishes at the end of your comment.

The question you raise is, who is to say what is the proper way to learn piano and does this mean if someone has not learned in the same manner as you they are not a true pianist?
There is the way you learned and there is the way John Lennon learned that led him to sit down at the piano and write Imagine or Paul McCartney’s method of learning that let to his ability to write Hey Jude, Let It Be and Baby I’m Amazed. Neither knew anything about key signatures, time signatures or reading notes.

There is also the way most teachers teach which has led dozens of parents to bring their kids to me saying my child has been playing for two years, yet my friends child has been playing for two months and is already a much better player than mine.
Sean Campbell
Founder / Teacher / Musician
border
Image  3104808480
Image  Se...@themusiclyceum.com
Image  www.musiclyceum.com
logo

On Feb 15, 2024, at 12:08 PM, Sean Campbell <se...@themusiclyceum.com> wrote:

Here’s a small sample.

<image.png>

John Keller

Feb 15, 2024, 4:06:03 PMFeb 15
to musicn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sean,

How is your sheet music produced?
Is it an automated process?

Cheers,
John Keller

Sean Campbell

Feb 15, 2024, 4:15:54 PMFeb 15
to musicn...@googlegroups.com
Hello John,

Because I denote which hand and finger plays every note, it would be complex to automate it. I would need some type of midi gloves with sensors playing into a midi device.

I translate traditional sheet music into a format that denotes the note to be played, where it is located on the keyboard, which finger to use and duration. Then a graphic artist creates the tab which must be edited because there is much room for error.

FYI: I am looking for talented detail oriented pianists to assist me with editing my tabs. Obviously it’s important that they are perfect.

All the best,

Sean Campbell
Founder / Teacher / Musician
border
Image  3104808480
Image  Se...@themusiclyceum.com
Image  www.musiclyceum.com
logo

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "The Music Notation Project | Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/musicnotation/19AA4CD7-8B2E-46DC-916F-F5122A78210E%40bigpond.net.au.

Waller Dominique

Feb 16, 2024, 5:52:32 AMFeb 16
to musicn...@googlegroups.com

Ok, Sean. That's what I suspected. Its' all about legitimity, with no analysis of the fundamental problem.

envoyé : 15 février 2024 à 21:11
de : Sean Campbell <se...@themusiclyceum.com>
à : musicn...@googlegroups.com

Paco DeCorois

Mar 12, 2024, 6:38:01 PMMar 12
to musicn...@googlegroups.com
People on the web may be rude or bold but they are telling you their opinion, and I think it is not for being traditionalist or being against novel ideas, it is just their perception of your proposal.
I can read any piano score but I can play only according to the time I spend improving, the frequency I do it and my personal skills, which means that knowing what to play is just a fraction of actually being able to play it.
You might blame the heat on your marketing department, which is quite exaggerated or misleading for me.
Klavar, Ambrosio piano tabs or Synthesia videos or apps (to name some) are for me much better ideas that do not enslave people to patented, expensive and very limited scores.
Your alternative way of showing people what to play is among the worst I have seen, if you care about opinions.