mscore location? - MuseScore3 rather than 4

lonce wyse

Mar 22, 2024, 10:15:49 AMMar 22
to music21

Hola,
   I am getting a confusing error message in a Jupyter Lab notebook when I try to view a score with s.show():

Cannot find a path to the 'mscore' file at C:\Users\lonce\C:\Program Files\MuseScore 3\bin\MuseScore3.exe -- download MuseScore

I configured my music21 to use MuseScore4, and 4 is what opens if I run a python command shell, but jupyter lab is using the wrong (possibly old) path.

I am on Windows 11, my Windows ENVIRONMENT variables don't seem to be the problem. I am running in a Conda environment. The error trace doesn't tell me where it is getting the "mscore path".

  I'd certainly be grateful for any help.
- Thanks!

lonce wyse

Mar 22, 2024, 10:22:54 AMMar 22
to music21

In the Jupyter notebook, after importing, I ran:

environment.set('musescoreDirectPNGPath', 'C:\\Program Files\\MuseScore 4\\bin\\MuseScore4.exe')

All good.

Hector Villafuerte

May 14, 2024, 11:37:17 PMMay 14
to music21
Thanks! This pointed me in the right direction :)
And in case someone wonders, here's the workaround on Mac:

environment.set("musescoreDirectPNGPath", "/Applications/MuseScore 4.app/Contents/MacOS/mscore")

I followed the installation instructions in the docs:
and the configuration part:
python3 -m music21.configure

but it didn't work, until the above workaround.