Dorico support for show()?

Paul Keating

Mar 6, 2023, 4:58:04 AM3/6/23
to music21

Chapter 2 of the of the User's Guide says, about halfway through,

If you've installed a MusicXML reader such as MuseScore, Finale, Sibelius, or Dorico, you can type f.show()

but configure.run() offers me only MuseScore or Sibelius:

I only have MuseScore installed because a group I was in used it, and my copy of Sibelius is ancient: I switched to Dorico years ago and I now only use Sibelius to convert old scores.

Other than the good intentions expressed in the documentation (and not confirmed at the obvious point in Chapter 8) are there any plans to support Dorico? Or the support there, but  configure.run() is just failing to find it?

Jacob Walls

Mar 6, 2023, 8:00:56 AM3/6/23
to music21
A pull request adding Dorico to the configuration wizard would be welcome. Someone started one and then went away after having trouble resolving merge conflicts. You could use that as a model and submit one yourself.

Otherwise, you can set the "musicxmlPath" setting (to point to your Dorico executable) by following the instructions in ch. 24.

Best,
Jacob