Tied tuplet

Peter van Kranenburg

Mar 14, 2023, 7:13:20 PM3/14/23
to music21
Hi all,

I noticed that things go weird when the last note of a tuplet is tied to the next non-tuplet note.

E.g.
Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 00.06.05.png
Same without the tie is correct:
Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 00.10.36.png

Am I missing something?

I am trying to reduce melodies by automatically replacing ornamental notes with a continuation of the previous note. I do this by changing the pitch of the note-to-be-removed with the pitch of the previous note, add a tie to the previous note, and at the end, invoke stripTies(). But, this fails when the above case emerges.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

All best,
Peter

Michael Scott Cuthbert

Mar 14, 2023, 7:24:46 PM3/14/23
to music...@googlegroups.com
That looks like an actual bug! Can you post also to the github issue tracker with “tinynotation “ marked prominently so we can track fixing it. Thanks!

Best,
Michael

---
Sent from a phone (413-575-6024)
Apologies for typos or general brevity

On Mar 14, 2023, at 19:13, 'Peter van Kranenburg' via music21 <music...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hi all,

I noticed that things go weird when the last note of a tuplet is tied to the next non-tuplet note.

E.g.
<Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 00.06.05.png>

Same without the tie is correct:
<Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 00.10.36.png>

To Post: email music...@googlegroups.com
<Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 00.06.05.png>
<Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 00.10.36.png>

Peter van Kranenburg

Mar 14, 2023, 7:38:14 PM3/14/23
to music21
Ok. Will do.
What do you mean with 'with “tinynotation “ marked prominently' ?

I don't think this has to do with the tinynotation parser, if that is what you mean. Scores in which I had this were parsed from **kern. I only used tinynotation to generate the example.

Peter van Kranenburg

Mar 14, 2023, 10:05:56 PM3/14/23
to music21
It seems this IS a problem with tinynotation, after all. If I generate exactly the same example in **kern, everything is fine.

So, my original problem is caused by something else. Apparently, it has to do with calling stripTies(). If e.g., three triplet eight notes are tied, it should be one quarter note after calling stripTies(). But there seems to remain some information from the triplet. MuseScore is able to produce a score, but lilypond is not. (And I want lilypond, because I am generating hundreds of pngs in batch, and musescore wants the focus every time it is invoked, so I can't use my computer (os x)).

I'll try to reduce both problems to the core and make issues.

Best
Peter