Robert Kaye (Musicbrainz) seminar in London

Yves Raimond

May 30, 2007, 7:07:59 AM5/30/07
to music-ontology-sp...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

Robert Kaye (founder of musicbrainz and metabrainz) is going to do a
seminar in my lab this Friday (Centre for Digital Music, Queen Mary,
University of London) - so feel free to come along!

Btw, if he has some time to speak with me after his talk (before next
week' beers:-) ). Is there a particular topic/issue you want me to
speak with him (and report on the list) ?

I think I'll try to quickly introduce him to the work we've done, and
to some of the "linked data" sets that are available (dbtune and,
well, musicbrainz). And some of the issues we identified during our
work, mainly:

- Differences between a Signal and a Track. As far as I know, there
are no distinction so far in the MBZ schema (though there is something
similar to it in the advanced schema page), and therefore it is
impossible to state "this track is on this compilation and this
album", eg:
http://musicbrainz.org/track/495cf71f-e59d-4e14-8819-3521a2fa5692.html
and
http://musicbrainz.org/track/8b58925d-1b10-40ec-9028-a7787e33b525.html
Though, as there is some overlap between fingerprints (Puid and Trmid)
it is possible to smush Signal resources together, if we do this
distinction - this is something that we can do using the musicbrainz
RDF dump, but not *directly* in musicbrainz.

http://zitgist.com/music/signal/95cf71f-e59d-4e14-8819-3521a2fa5692
owl:sameAs http://zitgist.com/music/signal/8b58925d-1b10-40ec-9028-a7787e33b525.

- Focusing on the "production process" for holding as many anchors for
further extensions as we possibly can:
Composition -> Work -> Arrangement -> Score -> Performance -> Sound ->
Recording ->Signal -> Track
(in the worst case:-) )

Please let me know if you have any comments.

Best,
Yves

Nicholas J Humfrey

May 31, 2007, 10:29:49 AM5/31/07
to music-ontology-sp...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Don't think I have introduced myself on-list. I am a PhD student at
the University of Southampton, in the IAM Group. We do quite a lot of
semantic web research here. My PhD in is on streaming continuous
metadata (sticking RDF in multicast packets).

I am also involved in Student Radio, and created the Surge Radio
website:
http://www.surgeradio.co.uk/music/artists/46d18823-6a15-49ee-8376-
c5f7a49530a6.html

On my todo list is to change the RDF on the website to use the Music
Ontology.

In the past I have tried to create a triple store (3store) containing
an up-to-date copy of the MusicBrainz dataset. But got very bogged
down with trying to get daily updates to work and loading the
differences into 3store. Just too much data and taking too long to load.

I would be quite interested in travelling down to see Robert Kaye's
talk tomorrow, however I might have rearrange of couple of things. Do
you have location/time details? How long is he in the country for?

Thanks,

nick.

Yves Raimond

May 31, 2007, 11:35:56 AM5/31/07
to music-ontology-sp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nick, and welcome onboard!

Are you involved in the MSpace browser? I actually tried to get in
touch with these people some time ago, and would really like to know
if they succeeded to get more fundings to get going! (as it is
*really* cool, (for those on the list who don't know it: try it at
http://mspace.fm/ )).

Here is the announcement for tomorrow:
(I send you my number off-list, if you have any troubles to get in.)
--

I'm very happy to announce a special seminar in our Wednesday
afternoon series... Robert Kaye, founder and lead developer for

The seminar will take place at 16:00 on Friday 1st June in room 105
in the Electronic Engineering Department, Queen Mary, University of
London, Mile End Road, London E1 4NS. Directions of how to get to
Queen Mary are available at
http://www.elec.qmul.ac.uk/research/seminars/ as are details of future
seminars. The room is now under access control, so people from outside
QM will need to contact C4DM to get in - the lab phone number is +44
(0)20 7882 7986 and if I'm not available, anyone else in the lab
should be able to help. If you are coming from outside Queen Mary's,
please let me know, so I can make sure no-ones stuck outside the
doors...

There will also be a seminar next week from David Bainbridge, from the
University of Waikato, New Zealand.

All are welcome to attend. If you wish to be added to / removed from
the list, please send me an email and I'll be happy to do so.

Next seminar:
-------------------

"MusicBrainz: Tearing Down Walled Gardens in the Music Industry"

16:00 Friday 1st June 2007

Robert Kaye
Founder and lead developer for MusicBrainz, and President and
Executive Director of the MetaBrainz Foundation

Abstract:
GraceNote has built a walled garden of music metadata by stealing data
from the commons. Music metadata holds the key to efficient
communication about music on the internet; locking up this data in a
walled garden hampers the further evolution of the music industry.
Robert Kaye will talk about MusicBrainz, and open source/data project
to build a music encyclopedia that actively works to create a music
metadata commons on the Internet. The seminar will cover the future of
MusicBrainz and MetaBrainz Foundation and how MusicBrainz aims to
establish a Lingua Franca for unambiguous communication about music.
Find out how MusicBrainz and MusicIP create a level playing field that
allows everyone to participate in efficient communication and
classification of music.

If you'd like to present a seminar at C4DM, please get in touch, and
we'll see what we can do.

Best,
Yves