Towards a new release of the music ontology

1 view

Yves Raimond

Jan 23, 2010, 1:43:53 PM1/23/10
to music-ontology-sp...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

I know this is massively overdue, but I finally got through the TODO
list on the wiki, and implemented the changes in the SVN.

Here is the TODO list:
http://wiki.musicontology.com/index.php/Todo_list

And here is the diff of the changelog:
http://motools.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/motools/mo/rdf/ChangeLog?r1=852&r2=58

The main thing in all that is the refinement of terms within the
editorial part of MO. I went through the email threads that are linked
from the todo list, summarised the results of the discussions and
tried to implement them, whilst trying to be as non disruptive as
possible (no renaming of existing concepts). I hope I got it right!

The main additions are:
mo:ReleaseEvent - Something being released at a particular place, at a
particular time.
mo:Release - A full release, including liner notes, records, cover art, etc.
mo:SignalGroup - A set of master signals, output of a recording session
mo:RecordingSession - A set of performances/recordings

For people following the Musicbrainz NGS work [1], the following
mapping seems to apply 1:1:
medium <=> mo:Record
track <=> mo:Track
recording <=> mo:Signal
release_group <=> mo:SignalGroup

I am not sure about the release part of it though. We now have
mo:ReleaseEvent and mo:Release, whereas Musicbrainz holds everything
in one 'release' table. I still think it is useful to have the two,
though?
Let me know what you think about that part, especially if you were
involved in the discussions about the editorial part of MO.

Here is the Sgt Pepper example, using the new terms:
http://wiki.musicontology.com/index.php/SgtPepper

I also included Simon's identification properties (isrc, iswc, etc.)
in the ontology, as well as his proposal for a Membership event, to
relate a person to a group during a particular time, and a few other
minor tweaks (like Kurt's change to the mo:similar_to domain/range).

I would also really like to get rid of some terms in the ontology,
like 'djmixed' etc. I suppose this can wait, though!

Cheers,

[1] http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/-/images/5/52/ngs.png

Danny Ayers

Jan 23, 2010, 3:28:56 PM1/23/10
to music-ontology-sp...@googlegroups.com
Bravo! Good effort sir!

On 23 January 2010 19:43, Yves Raimond <yves.r...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not sure about the release part of it though. We now have
> mo:ReleaseEvent and mo:Release, whereas Musicbrainz holds everything
> in one 'release' table. I still think it is useful to have the two,
> though?
> Let me know what you think about that part, especially if you were
> involved in the discussions about the editorial part of MO.

> Here is the Sgt Pepper example, using the new terms:
> http://wiki.musicontology.com/index.php/SgtPepper

To save hunting through the Musicbrainz material, do you have an
example of what they might say - your approach looks good to me.

(release and releaseEvent do seem like very different concepts)

> I also included Simon's identification properties (isrc, iswc, etc.)
> in the ontology, as well as his proposal for a Membership event, to
> relate a person to a group during a particular time, and a few other
> minor tweaks (like Kurt's change to the mo:similar_to domain/range).
>
> I would also really like to get rid of some terms in the ontology,
> like 'djmixed' etc. I suppose this can wait, though!

Move them to the bottom of the docs, or to an appendix? (Whilst
leaving the ontology itself as-is).

Cheers,
Danny.

--
http://danny.ayers.name

Loïc DIAS DA SILVA

Jan 23, 2010, 4:27:33 PM1/23/10
to music-ontology-sp...@googlegroups.com
Merci Yves ! Well some efforts now to adapt my own work..but in the right direction ! :)
++

yves.r...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2010, 7:51:41 PM2/13/10
to Music Ontology Specification Group

Right, it is online!

http://musicontology.com

I made a few changes and bug fixes - I hope there's no bug left! If
so, give me a shout!

As soon as I get some time, I will update the diagrams on the
homepage, to reflect the new classes/relationships we introduced. I
also need to run it through Pellet, to check that there are not too
many horrible logical inconsistencies in there :-)

I also added the different people that contributed to this release in
the author list - I hope I forgot no one (it is starting to be a bit
late :-) )!

Cheers,